Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My shifting problem and how I fixed it (pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My shifting problem and how I fixed it (pics)

1982 1100G

The bike would not always downshift reliably. About 70% of the time pressing down on the shifter did nothing and a second try would usually get it to shift. The lever always returned to it's centered position but there was no resistance that lets you know something inside the tranny is moving. It could happen in any gear and was most disconcerting when braking/ cornering /downshifting.

After searching and reading, I concluded I needed to pull the oil pan and see what was going on. Wrong. At least on this model pulling the pan only lets you see the shift drum and gives access to the neutral detent.

Here's a photo of the shifting mechanism that lies mostly behind the clutch basket.

The shift shaft was not returning to a full centered position which wasn't allowing the downshift pawl to engage the next notch in the shift drum. There was a few mm of play where the two fingers of the return spring straddle the stud.

This is a pic of the shift shaft removed and looking at the backside where the return spring mounts. The left finger of the spring pushes the shifter to center after upshifts, while the right one returns it after downshifts. I bent the right finger very slightly to the left in this picture. Maybe 1 mm. Just enough so when it was installed there was no play between these fingers and the stud they ride against.

That's it. Simple, huh? However you do need to remove the entire clutch basket and foot shift lever to get access to this spring. And it is a tough little bugger. I had to clamp the spring itself in the bench vise and use vise grips to get that tiny bend. But she downshifts every time now.
    Last edited by Guest; 06-27-2013, 12:46 PM. Reason: clarity

That's awesome. Nice pics too.

Ed
    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)

Comment

Fantastic, thanks for posting. Mine is not always reliable both ways, I'm figuring either a bent shift rod or maybe this.
      Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Hi,

Nice work. Great description and documentation. Thanks for sharing!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
        X