Head gasket light leak. Advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have just finished valve adjustment on gs550m while there did gasket change . Now have a leak from the head gasket , im a little worried about this as out of my comfort zone, but if had a little bit more info think i will give it ago .... Can anybody who has done this help with pics etc

Look forward to reply australian gs lover

Since you just did valve adjustment, are we refering to cam cover gasket leak and not a headgasket problem?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

The valve gasket top is fine now after i replaced gasket .. The oil is now leaking from between the fins and the engine mount i have always called this the head gasket it is the gasket with the four round holes in it , maybe im calling them the wrong thing im am from Australia ha ha .. Let me know if anybody has info on how to change this gasket .. Thanks in advance ..cheers

Comment

Yeah, we might be having a communication problem! A gasket with just 4 holes ..... maybe you mean the breather cover ( at the very top of engine)? hopefully pete will save me!
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Umm, tom, the 4 holes he is referring to are for the 4 pistons.

Comment

If your head gasket is leaking- you may get by a little while by re-torquing your head bolts- but more than likely it will need replaced. And if you go in that far you should replace the base gasket as well. Under no circumstances put any type of oil additive that claims to fix head gasket leaks- you will just gum up the motor as well as keep all leaks.
            Last edited by Guest; 06-27-2013, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kinetica01 View Post
              I have just finished valve adjustment on gs550m while there did gasket change . Now have a leak from the head gasket ...
              If I understand the issue correctly, there was no oil leak before the OP did valve adjustment.

If that is indeed the case, then it is highly unlikely that the head gasket (with the 4 holes in it!) is now suddenly leaking so badly.

My guess is that the leak is from the valve cover gasket (maybe even at the rear side (carb side) of the valve cover, and the oil runs through the openings in the head to the front of the head, and comes out at the fins just above the head gasket surface.

I had this exact issue and it took me a while to trace the actual oil leak to coming out under one of the rear valve cover bolts (one next to the cam chain tunnel). The oil ran down the rear and towards the front via the openings to the front of the head.
              1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                Umm, tom, the 4 holes he is referring to are for the 4 pistons.
                What, little holes don't count!
                1981 gs650L

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                  What, little holes don't count!

Comment

Originally posted by 2BRacing View Post
                    If I understand the issue correctly, there was no oil leak before the OP did valve adjustment.

If that is indeed the case, then it is highly unlikely that the head gasket (with the 4 holes in it!) is now suddenly leaking so badly.

My guess is that the leak is from the valve cover gasket (maybe even at the rear side (carb side) of the valve cover, and the oil runs through the openings in the head to the front of the head, and comes out at the fins just above the head gasket surface.

I had this exact issue and it took me a while to trace the actual oil leak to coming out under one of the rear valve cover bolts (one next to the cam chain tunnel). The oil ran down the rear and towards the front via the openings to the front of the head.
                    I agree..............................
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I was just trying to figure out some other details.

Looking at the subject,
                      Originally posted by kinetica01 View Post
                      I was sort of thinking that his head gasket had a "light leak".

The only "light" that I can think of that might leak from a head gasket is combustion flame. If that's what is leaking, there is a definite problem.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hi,

I'm working on solving a couple of oil leaks, both the head gasket and base gasket. CLICK HERE to see what it take to replace both of those gaskets. I'm just basically doing a top end refresh, new rings, new gaskets, etc.

Now I just have to find the time to put it back together.

In case I haven't greeted you properly, here's your "mega-welcome".

If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. In the links below you'll find maintenance lists, documentation, wiring diagrams, "how to" guides, vendor links, tips, tricks, and a whole lot of GS goodness. This is your "mega-welcome". Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

More links to helpful threads in the forum:
                        Help! Your Bike Won't Start
                        DON'T DO THESE THINGS
                        Help! Your Bike Won't Run Well
                        Oh God! Pods!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                        X