Bike dies after 3 hours, overheating?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike dies after 3 hours, overheating?

I rebuilt the carbs for the second time two days ago. Soaked overnight in lacquer thinner. Installed an inline fuel filter and a new oiled-foam air filter. Bike ran much better.

Rode for 3 hours yesterday then the engine cut out. I was cussing up a storm. My friend picked me up, we went back an hour or two later and it fired right up, ran smooth, and we rode it home.

This morning, I checked the mixture for highest idle, and headed out again. Right at three hours into the ride (in the desert) the engine cut out again. It doesn't want to run.

I poured what water I had on the head, the left side boiled instantly, the right side didn't. So I turned the idle air screw in 1/2 turn on #1 and #2.

It won't start. I'm currently on the side of the desert highway waiting for it to cool off, hoping it will run fine again just like it did last night.

The pipes aren't blueing, so I don't think it's running so lean that it would cause itself to overheat at 70mph.

Bad coils?

I'm gonna take a nap and check back in 30.

Thanks
    -Matt
    Last edited by Guest; 06-30-2013, 08:09 PM.

When it cut out, was it quick (i.e like electrical) or prolonged (i.e fuel starvation) ?
    Did you start today with full tank and this stuff happened as you got down into 1/4 tank area- still have petcock filter? have you looked at it to make sure it's not gummed up in lower area?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

take the gas cap off see if it starts then breather hole in cap may be blocked, or partially blocked
      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Drilled a new hole in the gas cap this morning, yes I cleaned the fuel petcock, it dies in a fuel starvation way, I can sort of keep it going a little longer by pumping the throttle.

I'm about 3/4 of a tank right now, filled up around 1:00 pst.

Comment

try switching it to PRIme
          1978 GS1085.

Comment

Get a Dyna S or replace the points and condensers.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Remove the inline filter. They have been known to cause fuel starvation problems.
              Feel The Pulse!

1982 GS1100E with Tracy one piece body
              2007 Roadstar Midnight Warrior

ebay cntgeek

Comment

I had a similar problen had a large fuel filter it would kink the fuel line when it got hot felt pretty dumb when I did figure that one out.

Comment

Three hours both times..... Isn't that about when it should go on reserve?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Both times were about 20 minutes after filling up.

I have the no-reserve petcock.

Well I made it to Kennewick, which was about another 70 miles, without issue. It is definitely heat-related, sitting in the shade for an hour solved the problem.

My vote is vapor lock. The fuel tees I got from z1 are aluminum, and thus great heat conductors. When I'm riding, fuel flows enough to keep them cool, but once I stop for gas, the fuel in the tees vapor locks, and then I break down half an hour down the road when the bowls run dry. Sitting allows the tees to cool and let fuel flow again.

This is my theory.

Comment

you wont ride half an hour on the gas that is in the bowls. the only way you will get a vapor lock is if the vent tubes are blocked or the gas cap vent is blocked.
                      1978 GS1085.

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                        you wont ride half an hour on the gas that is in the bowls. the only way you will get a vapor lock is if the vent tubes are blocked or the gas cap vent is blocked.
                        Well both the gas cap and bowl vents are wide-open. Hmm.

Comment

Re think your theory.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by lemonshindig View Post
                            Both times were about 20 minutes after filling up.

I have the no-reserve petcock.

Well I made it to Kennewick, which was about another 70 miles, without issue. It is definitely heat-related, sitting in the shade for an hour solved the problem.

My vote is vapor lock. The fuel tees I got from z1 are aluminum, and thus great heat conductors. When I'm riding, fuel flows enough to keep them cool, but once I stop for gas, the fuel in the tees vapor locks, and then I break down half an hour down the road when the bowls run dry. Sitting allows the tees to cool and let fuel flow again.

This is my theory.
                            Those fuel T's don't get hot at all, at least not too hot to hold in a bare hand indefinitely. They ain't the problem. Best guess is a blocked screen on the fuel petcock.
                            Last edited by earlfor; 06-30-2013, 10:32 PM.
                            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                              Get a Dyna S or replace the points and condensers.
                              Listen to the Chef Man. Your condensers are bad.

Comment

Working...
                              X