diifrence in gearing between years and models

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

diifrence in gearing between years and models

Hi I have a brother that bought a 1979 gs850g and I have a 1982 gs850gl and we noticed it seems like his bike has a higher top speed and better gear ratios than mine is this true or is it in my head

Nessism has put together a chart showing all the different ratios for the shaties.

The 850L has a very slightly taller 5th gear ratio, but has a shorter tire, which effectively cancels the difference.

I ride many bikes.
    Some are even Suzukis.

Comment

Well isn't that something my bike usually runs around 6k rpm at 70 mph it sounds like it's gonna blow clean up

Comment

If you are turning 6k at 70 mph, you need to upshift to fifth gear.

My wife took this picture over my shoulder a couple of years ago, at the Red River Rally. This is on my '80 850G(K).

At 70 mph, you should be turning closer to 5k.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I just wonder what would cause my bike to run at those kinds rpms it just dosent make any sense

Comment

Hey while we are on the subject personally what kind of mileage are or were you getting on your 850?

Comment

General running around (in town) will yield 38-40, out on the road (keeping speed under 70 mph) will be 41-44 mpg, even riding 2-up.

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Well I'm only averaging about 33 mpg so idk what's the deal the bike sounds great and runs great but has a vance and Hines headers and exhaust and also has a k and n air filter

Comment

Check your clutch, mate.

Is it adjusted properly?

- boingk

Comment

Before we sold it, my son's '81 850 had what we believe is a Jardine pipe and a K&N filter in the stock airbox. When driven sanely (spirited, but sane), it was usually in the 40-45 range. Before we sold the bike, I swapped pipes and carb jets with my 850. Have not yet run my bike with the pipe, so we will see.

Here is my son's former bike:

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride

Comment

Beautiful bike Steve and what did boingk mean by adjusted my clutches properly

Comment

If your clutch cable is adjusted a bit too tight, the clutch will not be able to do its job properly and will slip.
                        That will cause higher revs, but the slippage would be rather noticeable.

sigpic
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride

Comment

Well I mean I am noticing after shifting gears if I'm really giving the beans to the bike it seems to slip slightly is this normal also I haven't changed my trans or final drive fluid since I revieved the bike

Comment

my 850 g has the gsxr tach/speedo...at 75 mph on it i think its around 6 or 7k rpm

and not to hijack but is there any gears or anything i can change in my 850 trans for more lower rpm down the highway?

reason i ask i have my spare engine split currently

Comment

Yea I have no Idea why mine gets the mileage/speed problems its having

Comment

Working...
                              X