Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

are clutches used on the 550 the same as 1000?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

are clutches used on the 550 the same as 1000?

I am trying to figure out if the clutch centerhub drive splines are the same on the big 8 valve motors as they are on the 550 motor, do they both use essentially the same clutch basket assembly just attached to different Primary drive gears? I am asking because I have recently had a breakthrough with the BTL clutch that I am making, and am thinking of possibilities for the larger bikes.

thanks - Rob

I know that the 77-79 750 clutches and basket are smaller than the 79 1000 so I would guess that the 550 would be smaller yet or the same as the 750

Comment

This is good to know, what about the drive splines that connect the center hub to the gearbox input shaft?

Comment

The answer is a tentative yes...a while back agemax commented somewhere that the splined tab washer used to lock the clutch center nut on his 1000 was common to a surprisingly large number of models.
        He didn't post a list or link but may still have the information.

Comment

Thanks greg! this information is crucial, as it obviously means that the slipper clutch conversion could potentially fit the large bikes too, I will upload some new pics to the Clutch build thread tonight.

Comment

The splines are the same for sure, I put a 750 tranny in my 1000 and all i had to change was the shaft for the sproket due to it being longer.

Comment

excellent thank you,

Comment

Working...
              X