Suzuki GS850 1981 american import

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suzuki GS850 1981 american import

Hi guys, im in desperate need of some advice if its at all possible. I currently live in the UK and own an american imported gs 850, ive had untold amount of issues with it but have slowly been working my way through fixing bits and pieces as i go. I have finally come to a hurdle too high...my first cylinder isn't firing, or at least it sounds like its not, I have gone through the majority of what i could think of, ive checked all spark plugs are sparking, ive checked the float chambers, ive checked the carbs, ive even checked the air inlet manifold etc, all thats left now is for me to check the valves and timings. This is where some expertise would be appreciated, ive removed the cover to view the tappets and cam shaft (exhaust and inlet) the issue im having is that the manual specifies the feeler guage should be between 0.001 and 0.003 inches, and 0.0015 feeler gauge is nowhere near fitting under any of the cams at anytime ever, surely if its across the board i would be having issues with all 4 chambers and not just 1?

If the feeler gauge won't go in then you need thinner shims. Best to pick up one thin "checking shim", which when installed will allow you to figure out what actual shims you need. Move the checking shim around from location to location on the engine (never turn over the engine without all the shims installed), take an inventory of your existing shims, and then order the shims you need. Very basic and simple stuff.

Welcome to the world of 32 year old motorcycles. Checking the valves is one of the most basic of all maintenance tasks. Cleaning your carbs is another. Check my signature for a carb rebuild tutorial and also check the Newbie Mistakes thread so you know what to look out for.

Have fun.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

hi Vinnie and welcome. what part of the UK are you situated?
      how about some pics of your GS, we like pictures.......
      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Hey nessism thankyou very much, i will have to have a look round and see if i can work it out from that
        Agemax i live in leicestershire will try and post a photo at some point

Comment

Hi Vinnie! It's very common to find all or most of the valves are tight when you take in a neglected stray GS. They tighten up over the miles, and lots of previous owners were too lazy or cheap to do valve checks.

One day, the bike was too hard to start, and it got shoved to the back of the garage...

The good news is that this usually doesn't hurt anything -- get the valve clearances sorted out, and the 850 will astonish you.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

hey bwringer
            thanks yeah i kinda figured it was just the fact no maintenance has been done on it in donkeys years! the problem is the bike is actually my dads, ive just been roped into doing everything as his a lorry driver and im in the navy as an engineer...so i actually have more time (occasionally) so the valves are all sorted removed and replaced all shims with the correct sizes etc to ensure its not a valve problem.

Shock horror, 1st cylinder still isnt running properly...well i say that im assuming its not running properly as of the 4 downpipes 3 get hot very quickly and the one from the 1st cylinder gets hot over about 5 minutes of running, however its still getting hot, does anyone know is it possible for it only to be firing half the time? or is it not firing at all and the heat is simply being conducted through the engine block/from the other down pipes? im at a complete loss as to what to do next other then encourage my dad to sell the damn thing and find a bike with a little less DIY, however i do love the bike as does he but with no money left to spend on it any advice now would be mucly appreciated.

Comment

Have you done a compression check?

Comment

Originally posted by zuzu View Post
                Have you done a compression check?
                Don't even bother until the valves are adjusted and the bike has at least 200 miles afterwards. You can't make compression if the valves are hanging open.

Edit: see you have the valves adjusted now right? How many steps did you have to go on the shims for #1? Could be a valve is damaged from not being adjusted.

Still like to see some mileage on the engine before doing a compression test. Hold the throttle wide open and test a hot engine, not cold.

Maybe check for spark and coil voltage, and spark plug cap resistance. Switching the plug caps between 1 and 4 may help determine if the problem is spark related. Make sure the pilot jets and choke passages are clean in the carbs too. Carb rebuild tutorial linked in my signature. Maybe you over looked some detail?
                Last edited by Nessism; 07-05-2013, 01:40 PM.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

nessism

Don't even bother until the valves are adjusted and the bike has at least 200 miles afterwards. You can't make compression if the valves are hanging open.

Once i check the valves again (think i may have to readjust/rechange the shims) basically do it all over again lol. however once i get it right if the 1st cylinder still isnt firing properly will running it for 200 miles cause any additional damage by putting more strain on the other cylinders? causing the engine to seize or something worse?

Comment

Okay, you've "checked" the carbs, did you ever clean them? Completely?
                    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                    2007 DRz 400S
                    1999 ATK 490ES
                    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!!

Hi Mr. vinnie461,

The formula for the GS850G love potion is in your "mega-welcome". If you properly address all of the maintenance tasks I can almost guarantee that you will have a happy motorcycle. Skipping steps and taking shortcuts will cause frustration at best, destruction and mayhem at worst.

If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. In the links below you'll find maintenance lists, documentation, wiring diagrams, "how to" guides, vendor links, tips, tricks, and a whole lot of GS goodness. This is your "mega-welcome". Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

More links to helpful threads in the forum:
                      Help! Your Bike Won't Start
                      DON'T DO THESE THINGS
                      Help! Your Bike Won't Run Well
                      Oh God! Pods!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

"my first cylinder isn't firing"

have you checked for spark?? pulled the plug, ground it against the motor with the lead connected, turn it over with the key on like you are going to start it - see a blue spark crossing the gap?

Checking valve gaps are great and all - but if you don't have spark...

Comment

[QUOTE=Big T;1894235]Okay, you've "checked" the carbs, did you ever clean them? Completely

To be totally honest no...was kinda hoping to not have to as they scare me a little, but once i get these bloody shims correct (theyve tightened again already!!!) that will be my next port of call using the guides on here

Comment

miked

Hi yeah i have checked all the spark plugs, 2nd and 3rd cables definetly seem to be higher voltage at the moment then 1st and 4th...is this normal?

Comment

Originally posted by vinnie461 View Post
                              Hi yeah i have checked all the spark plugs, 2nd and 3rd cables definetly seem to be higher voltage at the moment then 1st and 4th...is this normal?

That's not checking for spark ...

Comment

Working...
                              X