blue pipes almost instantly. Normal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

blue pipes almost instantly. Normal?

I just cleaned these stock pipes with steel wool and they were looking pretty good with almost no color. I took the bike out for a 30 mile lower rpm test ride and this is what they look like now.

I just adjusted valves, adjusted idle mixture and synchronized carbs. Now I'm second guessing my work even though the bike runs perfectly. The only glitch I noticed on the test run was hard starting after fully warmed. I had to open the throttle fully and crank for a while before it started. But some of that is an old battery not delivering well at start up. It has been a hard starter since I got it running the first time.
    Mix screws at 2.5
    I just bought this bike in May in nonrunning condition so I have no benchmark for performance.

All stock. Right down to the airbox snorkel. One size bigger main. Mikunis.
    Thoughts?
    Last edited by Guest; 07-04-2013, 04:16 PM.

She's running weak if she blues the pipes that quickly. I'd suggest an air leak on the intake somewhere.

Why the fatter mains by the way? She should run fine on the standard ones.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

OK. I'll double check my boots and airbox.

Went up one on the main as recommended by some folks on GSR. Reasoning was the EPA had them leaned slightly to meet regs.
      Last edited by Guest; 07-04-2013, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Are we referring to the Kaw, Yammy or Zook?
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

'82 gs1100g

Comment

Blue pipes are an indication of a lean condition. I would not run it like that very long.
            Check your plugs and see if they have little or no carbon which would also indicate a lean condition.
            sigpic
            Steve
            "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Try a bigger pilot jet or clean the jets out better
              My stable
              84 GSX1100EFG-10.62 @ 125 mph 64'' W/B.
              85 GS1150-9.72@146mph stock W/B.
              88 GSXR1100-dragbike 9.18@139.92mph/5.68@118mph.
              98 Bandit 1200-9.38@146mph/6.02@121mph.
              90 Suzuki GS 1425cc FBG Pro Stock chassis 5.42@124mph
              06 GSXR750 10.44@135mph
              00 Honda elite 80 pit bike

Comment

How far out the mixture screws are influence the lean or richness of the cylinders also. Where are they at now? May go out 1/4 turn and recheck the plug colors after you have cleaned them well..or better yet..put in new plugs so theres no confusion as to what the colors are.

Base settings as of the collective experience here says 2 out from lightly seated as the start point.
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Bluing of the pipes don't always show a lean condition from what I have seen in the past. I have seen chokes not shutting all the way off, or leaving the choke on for too long,carbs over flowing, jetting too rich instead of too lean also. Causing what I believe is unburnt fuel to preignite in the pipes resulting in high temperatures causing them to discolor. Notice how most manufacturers won't warranty discoloration. I have warranted several new bikes with that condition besides the normal air leaks, lean conditions, and timing issues that can occur. F.Y.I. With brand new pipes spray some high temp header paint, ceramic, etc. inside the pipes in that area to help in preventing them from bluing. From seeing the pics at least they are bluing evenly across all four so what ever it is effecting all the cylinders the same. Possibly making it easier to repair.
                  Last edited by gs11ezrydr; 07-09-2013, 06:10 PM.
                  sigpic 82 gs1100ez 1168 Wiseco,Web .348 Cams,Falicon Sprockets,Star Racing Ported Head,1mm o/s Stainless Valves,APE Springs,Bronze Guides,etc.APE Billet Tensioner,36CV Carbs,Stage 3 Dynojet,Plenum w/K&N filter,Trued,Welded,Balanced,Crank w/Katana rods & Billet left end, FBG backcut trans, VHR HD Clutch basket,APE nut,VHR High volume oil pump gears,1150 Oil cooler,V&H Megaphone header w/Competition baffle,Dyna S,Coils,Wires,etc.Other misc.mods.

Comment

I've seen pipes turn blue like that when people run the bike in the driveway too long. Particularly with the choke on. Steve has some nifty photos of a GS with cherry red header pipes from just such a situation.
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                      I've seen pipes turn blue like that when people run the bike in the driveway too long. Particularly with the choke on. Steve has some nifty photos of a GS with cherry red header pipes from just such a situation.
                      I remember that photo, cherry red was right.
                      sigpic
                      Steve
                      "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

I pulled the carbs off and discovered both end covers of the air box were missing the gaskets . i sealed both ends up securely and the pipes haven't colored any more. Spark plugs were a lovely tan color.

Comment

Working...
                        X