Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

will 83 650 8v cam work in 85 550 16v motor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

will 83 650 8v cam work in 85 550 16v motor?

think I found why my motors not running,, both cams are wiped out I believe. all lobes have flat spots, and the exhaust tach gear is chewed up bad

if they don't,, would the 82 550 8valve cam work in the 16valve motor?

I don't think they will work, but will not say for certain that they won't.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

8 valve and 16 valve cams do not interchange

Comment

thanx , not the news I wanted to hear

Comment

what is the difference between the 2,, the 650 cam has steeper ramps, but same length,etc.

Comment

Originally posted by dark7068 View Post
            what is the difference between the 2,, the 650 cam has steeper ramps, but same length,etc.
            read your PM inbox
            1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

thanx agemax, I should hunt for a racey cam

Comment

will these thing fit or no
                is it a "hotter" cam er whut?

Comment

apparently they wont fit, the 650 cams woulda rocked in the bike

Comment

Originally posted by dark7068 View Post
                    I don't have those two cams in front of me to compare, but just thinking about it tells me they are different.

The 8-valve cams push directly on the valves (via shims and buckets, of course). The 16-valve cams will push on a cam follower that is forked so it pushes on two valves. Because the cam pushes near the middle of the follower, the valve will move farther than the height of the cam lobe. Mixing the two systems could be ... well, ... interesting.

Besides the difference in lobe height (probably ultimately resulting in the same valve lift), there is probably a difference in timing. Not necessarily how long the valves are open, but when they open. The valve opening itself might be exactly the same, but the 16-valve cam will be pushing in a different direction on the follower to achieve that timing.

Again, this is all GUESSING, but I think you will get the idea that a LOT more research will have to go into this before you start casually swapping cams.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

the 8v and 16v cams are wildly different. different lobe profiles, cam timing and clamping caps. tacho is in the head in the 8v and in the valve cover on the 16v ( if fitted ).
                      8v is bucket and shims, 16v is tappet adjusters
                      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Put on your tuxedo and change them cams.

Comment

yes, I will search for stock cams now,, and research another day. thanx a lot for all your guys help

Comment

Working...
                          X