How Hot Is Hot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Hot Is Hot?

I've got a couple snapped off valve cover bolts stuck in my head. I'm gonna use a heat gun to try and remove these guys. Question-What temperature should I set the heat gun to?

Thank you.

Originally posted by snackie View Post
    I've got a couple snapped off valve cover bolts stuck in my head.
    Right about when your eyebrows start to singe .

Probably wont get hot enough with a heat gun. Get a torch.
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

As hot as it will go. Use a lot of PB Blaster and heat it 'til it's smokin', give it a few good whacks with a hammer, then do it again.

Lot's of advice here

Comment

If they are already snapped off, how are you going to remove them even if you get them heated up? vise grips? if they are snapped off below flush in the hole this is where a left hand drill bit can come in handy..

Comment

Originally posted by Broncoman75 View Post
          If they are already snapped off, how are you going to remove them even if you get them heated up? vise grips? if they are snapped off below flush in the hole this is where a left hand drill bit can come in handy..
          Luckily, they broke with about 3 threads above the head. So, I'm gonna cut a slot in each and try and turn them out.

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
            Right about when your eyebrows start to singe .

Probably wont get hot enough with a heat gun. Get a torch.
            Couple folks on here said not to use a torch on the head, you think it's alright?

Comment

Try the heat gun first
              I doubt a propane torch would damage the aluminum but to err is caution to avoid divine
              or something like that.

Comment

You might be fine with the MAPP bottle, hotter than propane but not so much that you wreck the head. Aluminum expands at a greater rate than steel so heat around the bolt after soaking it with PB.

If its accessible, try your slot idea and an impact tool. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
                  Try the heat gun first
                  I doubt a propane torch would damage the aluminum but to err is caution to avoid divine
                  or something like that.
                  I think that's some sort of record for mangled philosophical sayings

Comment

You won't hurt anything with propane, except maybe plastic or gaskets.

Comment

I just looked it up. the temperature of MAP gas is 5300 degrees F. The melting point of aluminum is 1221 degrees F.
                      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Working...
                      X