Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sand gathering in the head bolt channel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sand gathering in the head bolt channel?

Short summary in addition to this thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=190870, I lost compression on #4 of my 86 GSX750ES, pulled the head today to survey the damage. Problem was a burnt exhaust valve, I think I can fix it.

However, when pulling the head, tons (read: grams) of grit / sand poured out from the two center forward head bolts. The studs were also in poor condition, the others were mint.

The bolts in question.

A good bit of sand poured down the cam chain channel.

This is what I think is the culprit. You are looking at #3 exhaust port, the red line I have drawn is inside a little recess where the stud passes through open air on its way through the head for some unknown design reason. Since the stud is smaller than the cylinder within which it resides, there is a free space for sand, grit, salt and flying squirrel poison to gather.

Not only does it help destroy the studs with rust, it also leaves a surprise shower of deadly grit, emptying into the crankcase like some clever trap from Indiana Jones. Why oh why did Suzuki do this? Has anyone else encountered this? Is there something missing from my bike which causes it? Any way I can prevent it for the future?

Stud holes between #2 and #3, filled to the brim:

Bonus picture, the burnt valve:

Last edited by Guest; 07-11-2013, 06:01 PM.
Working...
X