Compression too high

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compression too high

Hi there please don't shoot me down as I'm a complete newbie to forums I've done a search in forums on subject but to no avail.

Any way I've got a 79 Gs 750 which hasn't turned a wheel in over seven years been in a shed all them years. Requires a lot of work but started off with a compression test.

Have done a compression test and number 1 is above what the manual says. It's over 200psi when 2,3 and 4 are all between 160Psi and 180psi which is ok I think. Carried out test the next day thinking it was the tester that was faulty but its nearly brand new and compression on number 1 very high. Can't think there wold be that much carbon build up and looks ok when looking down inlet and into spark plug hole.

Any pointers would be appreciated. But please don't shoot me down if I seem to be asking stupid questions.

Was it cold as it sounds like it isn't running... These numbers sound healthy (too healthy for a bike that hasn't run in a while).

I'd do the other work (including checking the valve clearances which can also affect the compression numbers) & then try again when it's been run in.

Unless it has a million miles on it or has been left outside or with the carbs/exhaust off the likelihood is it will be fine. These bikes are tough old things!
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Hasn't turned in anger for many years. Just did a compression test. in the middle cleaning out carbs at moment having problems with float pins, not the easiest to strip. Cv mikunis.

Comment

I would suspect that the tester is reading about 90-100 psi high. See if you can hook it up to an air compressor or something else to "validate" it.
        Charles
        --
        1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

CV Mikunis on a 79 GS750?

Comment

Probably has a big bore kit

Comment

Need pics.
              sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
              1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
              2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

A 79 GS750 came with VM mechanical slide carbs, not CV's.
                Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Bad tester.

I'd buy the faulty tester theory or at least faulty testing as your psi numbers are so far apart. My faulty tester helped me buy two bikes cheap as it was reading too low before I figured out it was faulty. Now I take it on every trip to go look at a motorcycle. Anyways, if your tester was good you'd need an overhaul as you should never have that much variance between cylinders.

Get the thing running, run the smoke and cob webs out of it then check it again.
                  Last edited by Guest; 07-12-2013, 11:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dod9878 View Post
                    Cv mikunis.
                    Originally posted by Hone101 View Post
                    CV Mikunis on a 79 GS750?
                    Originally posted by earlfor View Post
                    A 79 GS750 came with VM mechanical slide carbs, not CV's.
                    My guess is that it is actually an '80 model that came off the assembly line in the last part of '79.

Look at the production date on the VIN plate and tell us what it shows.
                    If it is 8/79 or later, it is a 1980 model, not a '79.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Been away for the last two weeks but got round to removing rocker cover, measured the valve clearances some were tight some slack but the exhaust valve on number 4 was way out. On close inspection when turning engine over I noticed that a gap was appearing between head and cap A so went to remove bolts one was snapped and the other three had aluminium springs on them. Stripped threads Also on rocker cover there were marks where bolt heads had been hitting the rocker cover. So thinking seeing that the valve timing out that it may have something to do with it. Still have to test gauge for accuracy. Presume a sticking valve caused this damage or maybe previous installation.

Comment

Those cam cap bolts don't take much torque and people tend to not follow the instructions, so stripped bolts are common
                        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                        2007 DRz 400S
                        1999 ATK 490ES
                        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Those are not springs but threads!
                          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Just buy a heilacoil set and you can have those threads better than new (better because it'll be steel on steel instead of steel on aluminum) I think this is the set you need, but make sure and spec it out before you order one. http://www.amazon.com/Helicoil-5546-...words=helicoil

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                              Those are not springs but threads!
                              or helicoils / timeserts if they were installed by an idiot...

Comment

Working...
                              X