Wll, it's not the exhaust...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wll, it's not the exhaust...

For those of you keeping score at home, a number of people -- me the latest -- have been hunting for a really annoying tick / clack in the GS1000G in my sig. So far, it's had a clutch basket, new intake & exhaust cams, multiple valve lash checks and a disassembly of the starter clutch. I might have missed an operation or two.

It occurred to me that this happened to the Bandit in my sig when it was brand new, under warranty, and it turned out to be a separation between the inner and outer pipes on the header. It sounded just like -- as in, exactly -- like a tappet, or massively excess valve lash. Very crisp & mechanical noise. New header = no more noise.

So, I tore the exhaust off & cleaned it up, and bought all new sealing hardware & bolts. Put it all together tonight and, no surprise, it did not fix the ticking noise.

This is getting really maddening, to the point that I might be looking for a bottom end / engine for a GS1000G, and just swap in a whole crankcase. Put my cylinders, pistons & head on it, and if THAT doesn't fix the problem, then perhaps a gallon of gasoline and a Bic lighter.

Or a buyer.
    and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
    __________________________________________________ ______________________
    2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Have you tried the old stethoscope trick to pinpoint the location?
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I say this blushing....MY 1150 has had a tick since 99 when i purchased it with 1200 miles on it. now approaching 20,00 miles..still ticks. Since joining this wonderful site earlier this year my search possibilities have expanded beyond vavles, which have been checked several times.. I really thought the screw in the cylinder that was found in 2000, and resulting bent valves would have solved it, but it did not...It did come with a bald, squared off back tire and crash damage....Stick with it, or write it off as one of lifes mysteries ( as long as its safe to do so...)
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by robertbarr View Post

Or a buyer.
        Preferably a deaf one.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Just a thought, have you checked the spark plug caps? Years ago I had a bad connection on a plug wire cap the would allow the spark to arch off the cylinder head making a ticking/ snapping sound. I hunted for that for a long time, then was riding the bike one night and it looked like a lightening storm around the #3 plug. Repaired it and the snapping/ ticking sound disappeared.
          1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
          80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
          1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
          83 gs750ed- first new purchase
          85 EX500- vintage track weapon
          1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
          “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
          If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            Preferably a deaf one.
            There ya go. Or install a really loud stereo, and play percussion music -- Jamaican, maybe -- during the test ride.
            and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
            __________________________________________________ ______________________
            2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Working...
            X