Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaky head gasket gsx 1100 EZ ?

Hi Guy's
    I have a leak around the front of the engine, have just replaced seals on Tacho drive cause they were leaking but still have oil leak problem. I think it's the head gasket. Reading these forums it's suggested that i check the "O" rings on the front two centre head nuts. To ask the dumb question where are they? If someone could post a pic that would be great. Id' certainly rather replace o rings then head gaskets. Any help appreciated.

number 17

O RING SEAL
    09280-17002

Comment

Thanks for the diagram, so to ask another dumb question the bolt is inside the rocker cover. If oil leaked through the O ring and passed the head bolt wouldn't it harmlessly just leak into the head area. How would the oil from a leaky O ring get outside the engine?

Cheers Richard

Comment

You will need to remove the valve cover to get to both of them but its an easy cheap fix once you are there.

Comment

I changed O-rings first too but it's still leaking bad so I hope you have better luck than I.

Comment

Originally posted by carvan40 View Post
            Thanks for the diagram, so to ask another dumb question the bolt is inside the rocker cover. If oil leaked through the O ring and passed the head bolt wouldn't it harmlessly just leak into the head area. How would the oil from a leaky O ring get outside the engine?

Cheers Richard
            There is a gap in between the cylinders for air to flow. Those two cylinder bolts are exposed in that gap. If the oil runs down them it looks like a head gasket leak. The o-ring seals this.
            There is also two in the rear that use copper washers and they can leak too.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Many thanks for explaining that to me, any chance someone can give me the part numbers i need for the front O rings and rear copper washers.

Richard

Comment

Here is a link to a parts finder.

Comment

I did mine but I think they are leaking again.....

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

excellent thanks for the photo, will order the seals and give it a go.

Comment

Stock Sprockets for 1982 GSX 1100E

Can anybody tell me the standard tooth sizes for the front and rear sprocket please. I'm asking as my bike seems to be geared a bit low.

Cheers

Richard

Comment

Originally posted by carvan40 View Post
                        Can anybody tell me the standard tooth sizes for the front and rear sprocket please. I'm asking as my bike seems to be geared a bit low.

Cheers

Richard
                        Look here:

Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

42 rear
                          15 front
                          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                          X