broken clutch cable stop on clutch cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

broken clutch cable stop on clutch cover

i tried to replace the clutch cable on my 1981 gs850 gl today. while i was threading the cable adjuster into the cable stop attached to the clutch cover i managed to snap it off!
    do i need to replace the whole clutch cover? do you think j.b. weld will hold the snapped piece back on? has anyone had this happen and found a quick fix?
    so bummed right now

JB might hold it for a little while. Use some wire in the mix like rebar, slather it over the broken area. Might work, might not. But a replacement cover will fix it for good.
    You must have strong fingers to break that.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

the adjuster bolt i pulled out was really stubborn. when i threaded the new one in, I had to use a wrench but it turned easy enough. i didn,t realize it was cross threaded until... "snap". i guess i gotta suck it up and source out a new clutch cover. just looking fo a quick fix till i get the cash together for that+ the gasket.. still kicking myself for this

Comment

Try the JB, "might hold" is better than "I didn't try".

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

PM sent...
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Is there enough material to weld it back on?
            sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
            1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
            2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
              Is there enough material to weld it back on?
              Unless you a a very good welder I would not try this. It is an aluminumn cover and that requires special welding techniques. Not impossible, just quite difficult for a home welder to do.

Comment

the piece is so tiny. probably 1/4" x 1/2" AT THE LARGEST. think i just gotta suck it up and buy the cover. think i can get my hands on a parts bike for pretty cheap

Comment

Originally posted by mainerules View Post
                  the piece is so tiny. probably 1/4" x 1/2" AT THE LARGEST. think i just gotta suck it up and buy the cover. think i can get my hands on a parts bike for pretty cheap
                  Have a look at your PM (private message) inbox. I pretty strongly suspect that bwringer is trying to offer you a clutch cover. Probably not very expensive. Certainly less expensive than a parts bike, unless there's a lot of other stuff you need to scavenge.
                  Dogma
                  --
                  O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                  '80 GS850 GLT
                  '80 GS1000 GT
                  '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Working...
                  X