Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stripped clutch cover thread

Hi,

I have a 1983 GS1100L. While replacing the aftermarket clutch springs with OEM clutch springs, I somehow cross-threaded and stripped the threads of the female receiving side for the upper right bolt. They are completely stripped, I do not know how to recover from this. The bolts are 8mm. Do I get a tap and die set and go to 9mm? Is there something I can put in the hole to create new threads? Do I seal it in the top right with some sort of gasket sealant and let the surrounding bolts do the heavy work of keeping it together? Any help would be appreciated.

Brent

Which bolt? Upper right of what? Don't know of any 8mm thread bolts in there.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

There are 10 bolts that hold the side cover on. They require an 8mm socket to remove or tighten them. The one that is stripped is the bolt in the top right just in front of where the clutch cable attaches.

Comment

Helicoil it
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

OK, those are 6mm thread bolts. Yeah, Helicoil will work.
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

The bolt is still fine and out. It is the female side that is stripped. Will a helicoil cut new threads? I will google it and see what I can figure out. Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by BRJones View Post
              The bolt is still fine and out. It is the female side that is stripped. Will a helicoil cut new threads? I will google it and see what I can figure out. Thanks in advance.
              a helicoil kit includes a drill bit, a tap and a thread insert. you run the drill through the damaged threads carefully, then use the tap and rethread the hole.
              then screw the helicoil insert in using the tool provided and there you go, a brand new 6mm steel thread to screw the cover bolt into
              1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Awesome thanks for the assistance and the education. I am loving this forum.

Comment

Awesome thanks for the assistance and the education. I am loving this forum.
                  that is good, but if you want us to love you back you should go to the GS owners section and introduce yourself properly.
                  add your bike model and your location to your signature so we know what you ride and where in the world you are.

post a few pics of your bike(s) as well, we like pics
                  1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Will do once I get home tonight. Thanks again!

Comment

Will do once I get home tonight. Thanks again!
                      did you get home yet.....

just my way of reminding you to add your info......

Comment

Well I installed the new helicoil thread tonight and that part worked well. Now I have it all back together and added the oil. I need to try and figure out how to adjust the clutch. With where everything currently is adjusted, when I squeeze the clutch lever in, the clutch does not fully engage. When I try to start the engine with the bike up on the center stand, the rear tire spins. Even if I have the cable linkage disconnected from the arm the comes out of the side cover and manually slide the arm counter clockwise. The arm moves very freely without resistance. I am sure it is not actually doing anything behind the cover to engage the clutch. Just thought I would ask in case I did something glaringly wrong. I will read up on everything and start a new thread.

Comment

Working...
                        X