Rotella Triple protection, any good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rotella Triple protection, any good?

It was the only 15w-40 that my local walmart had but it says it also protects emissions equipment. I'll take it back and order different stuff if it's no good but I just wanted to check if I could use it or not/if anybody else is using it with success.

Thanks in advance,
    Stewart

Could be

Turn it over and look at the back. It will say "suitable for" and it will have pictures of a semi/Tractor/track hoe/pick up

That's the diesel oil, which is what you want

Lots of people prefer the synthetic diesel oil, T-6 in the blue jug
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Yeah anything marketed as "mixed fleet" or diesel oil will be good. I am running Gulf Western 15w-40 in my 850G and it is rated to SL/CF4... or high performance and diesel engine specs. It was what they had in store where I picked the bike up, so I ran it. Seems good so far.

I generally recommend Dello 400 and Gulf Western "TopDog" Super Diesel. Both are 10w-40 and run particularly well in everything from my 2001 VTR1000 all the way back to my 1940 Continental powered aircraft. The Continental is fully instrumentated and shows good pressure under load, good idle pressure and instantaneous pressure on startup. It uses far less (almost none) TopDog than any other oil I have run it on, too.

As an added bonus the TopDog was only about $90 for a 20 litre drum.

Cheers-boingk
      Last edited by Guest; 07-23-2013, 12:14 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the info, just wanted to make sure I was putting in the right stuff

Comment

If you look on the back of a jug of Rotella (5W-40 synth or regular 15W-40), you'll see a rectangle with a list of certifications. At the end of the list, you will see "MA", which means it's suitable for motorcycles with wet clutches.

It's good stuff.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I heard its got triple the protection, thats "3 times" as much as anything else!
            -Mark
            Boston, MA
            Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
            sigpic
            1980 GS850G with 79 carbs.....

Comment

Working...
            X