No announcement yet.

Re-installing Clutch cover 83 GS1100L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here are some pictures. One with the cable connected, one with the cable disconnected. In the the second, even with the arm fully in, much further than my clutch cable can pull it, the bike is in gear. It cannot be moved, if I try to roll it, I hear the engine turn over. The clutch is not engaging.

Comment

And the second picture with the clutch arm fully in an still no change.

Comment

Shouldn't the pinion arm have some resistance? I can move it back and forth with zero resistance when the cable is disconnected. When the cable is connected, the only resistance is from the cable spring.

Comment

yes you should feel resistance.
          if you don't then you have something fugged up on your reassembly.

Comment

I will loosen the bolts that hold in the clutch springs. That is the only components that I have touched on the inside when messing with this.

Comment

you have 6 bolts with spacers.
              you have 6 springs.
              you tork these to around 90 inch pounds...THEY WILL BREAK IF YOU OVER TIGHTEN!!!!!
              do not over tighten!
              your rack teeth need to face forward to engage into the CC.
              i believe this is where your problem is.
              if you do not have it engaged then you are just slipping the rack in the cover and not pulling on the pressure plate= no resistance.

Comment

let me add this...
                while your feeding the rack into the CC have someone turn the spline counter clockwise i believe and this will help pull the rack into engagement with the CC.
                no bolts in cover needed at this time...the dowls will hold it in place as will the movement of the clutch.
                now see if you have resistance.

Comment

Well, I can tell you how dumb I am. The loose control arm is from the play in the rack. The part where the travel stops is where the clutch is actually engaging and gets tight. I adjusted the cable on the engine case all the way back away from the from the arm and the lever on the handle bar got real tight, but when I squeezed it, it actually engaged the clutch a little and caused the bike to roll. I bought an aftermarket clutch cable from D2Moto and it was extremely tight to put on. I am going to purchase an OEM cable and the paper gasket that I ripped the last time I was taking the clutch off to check things. Thank you so much for all your help. I think I now have a greater understanding and in a couple days when my parts come in I will be that much closer to riding again.

Brent

Comment

OEM is the best on cables for sure.
                    live...learn...retain on the labor part.
                    glad you found the problem.

Comment

I just removed the cable and measured it and found it to be an inch too short. no wonder it is so crazy tight and not adjustable. Is there a place that supports the forum where I can order the OEM parts? Anything that gives back is where I would like to order from. If not, I will just go with any place I can find.

Thanks again for your time and patience. I could not have gotten this far without you.

Brent

Comment

i say go to a local dealership and make sure you are purchasing an OEM cable...not a motion pro brand.

Comment

Working...
                        X