No announcement yet.

won't go into first

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I feel more than a little silly but relieved that it was nothing serious.
    Took the shifter off and fooled with the position a bit and realized that the bike was able to shift into 1st. So not likely internal. When putting the shifter back on it wouldn't shift into 1st again. That is when we realized that the bolt that tightens the shifter to the shifter spine was in upside down. So it wasn't tightening the shifter to the shaft at all, it was just there. So what would happen is that the shifter would eventually slip a tooth on the shaft then not allowing the bike to go into first.
    So how did the bolt get put in upside down to begin with you ask???
    Well when I had my stator fail at the pnw rally when putting it back together after a 5 hour job and a keg of almost free beer beside us I must have put it in backwards from the top instead of the bottom. You see there is only a thread on one side of the shifter so if you put it in backwards you won't tighten it.
    And to think I rode it for 1200kms before it gave me a problem, then another 2000kms on the trip without 1st gear, loaded two up.
    Ok confession over, I feel better now.
    No signature

Comment

Damn ! I knew there was a reason that keg was empty....
      Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
      Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
      1983 GS 750

Comment

Ill also confess that booze and wrenching dont go well. Years ago while installing my jet kit in the 1150 while tipping the wine jug, I used the drill bit for opening the airsrew plugs to drill the slides. Oops. Trevor, im glad you're problem was minor.
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
          Ill also confess that booze and wrenching dont go well. Years ago while installing my jet kit in the 1150 while tipping the wine jug, I used the drill bit for opening the airsrew plugs to drill the slides. Oops. Trevor, im glad you're problem was minor.
          You are not the first or last to do that.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
            You are not the first or last to do that.
            no comment

Comment

Working...
            X