gs1000e noise when starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs1000e noise when starting

the noise started some weeks ago when you pressed the starter buton there was a loud clack sound but was ok when the bike was running,
    but now its there all the time i thought the sound was coming from the top end took the cam cover of and turned the engine over all looked ok but the noise was still there a loud clacking noise, took the plug leads of all four and pressed the starter and no change, maybe its the starter clutch, has any bodie had these noises on start up before

Clack is the classic sound of a starter clutch failing - weakened springs, loose bolts, clutch housing bust or worn rollers / gear. I would take a look in there if it's happening all the time - before something goes awol.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

thanks i will strip the starter clutch tomorrow
      bryan

Comment

my Gs1085s does it now and again ,have been told it is the position the engine stops in as I have a Dyna ignition with stock advance retard fitted or if Battery isn't fully charged up....
        but it only does it when people are watching Aaaaarrrrrrrrrhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

ive stripped the starter clutch and that is the problem,it started making a clack noise only once as the starter engaged but as time went on it got more regular NEARLY ALL THE TIME, when the engine was running it would come and go fade in and out and gave the impression it was cam end float, but it was the starter clutch on its way out,
          WOULD LIKE TO THANK HAMPSHIREHOG for his help

Comment

forgot to say when i turned the fly wheel over be hand every two turns the clack noise appeard

Comment

Originally posted by gshub View Post
              my Gs1085s does it now and again ,have been told it is the position the engine stops in as I have a Dyna ignition with stock advance retard fitted or if Battery isn't fully charged up....
              but it only does it when people are watching Aaaaarrrrrrrrrhhhhhhhhhhhh.
              Nope, that's the starter clutch going out

Mine did that for 2-3 years, then I finally pulled it down and replaced the gear and the rollers, all is good. I'd replace the springs also

My gear boss looked like someone had hit it with 1,000 little hammer blows
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

hi bigt when my battery was flat it did the same but it was my starter clutch

Comment

my starter clutch was totally rebuilt by a Suzuki trained fitter with Genuine parts and it still does it now and then........
                  also the rota came off the crank and cut a whole through the wiring of generator with a mighty bang when they parted company as I had front wheel off the ground flat out in second gear at the time Oooooopppppppppppsssss.......

Comment

dame thats not good big t, iam glad my problem is only a small one,
                    but iam enjoying all the repairs i have to do ive just got back on the road after 30 years
                    and now ive got 4 gs1000e to keep going love the classic bikes

Comment

Originally posted by harrymthree View Post
                      dame thats not good big t, iam glad my problem is only a small one,
                      but iam enjoying all the repairs i have to do ive just got back on the road after 30 years
                      and now ive got 4 gs1000e to keep going love the classic bikes
                      4 is a good start but more is better !

ozman

Comment

Working...
                      X