Motor oil in gear box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motor oil in gear box

My friend has discovered motor oil in the gear box and is looking for some insight into how to approach this. He is considering pulling the engine and splitting the case to see what is wrong. Are there any less drastic things he can do before he resorts to this?

Your thread begs a couple of questions-is the bike in question yours, or his, and if it's his, what bike is it?
    sigpicSome of the totally committed probably should be.
    '58 + '63 Vespa 150's' (London, GB/RI, US)
    '67 X6 T20 ('67 Long Beach, Ca.- misty-eyed)
    '71 Kaw. A1-ugh ('71 SF, CA- worked @ Kaw dlr)
    '66 Yam. YL1('72 SF-commuter beater)
    '73 Kaw. S2A-2Xugh ('73 SF-still parts slave)
    '78 GS 750C ('77 SF-old faithful-killed by son)
    '81 KZ 750E ('81 SF-back to Kaw. dlr)
    '81 GS 650G ('08 back to NE&ME- (project)
    '82 GS '82 (2) GS650GZ, L, Middlebury, G current

Comment

Originally posted by recycled64 View Post
      Your thread begs a couple of questions-is the bike in question yours, or his, and if it's his, what bike is it?
      It's his. His is an '82 GS1100L shafty.

Comment

It should have GEAR oil in the secondary drive area, if that is what you are calling "gear box".

The term can be a bit confusing because "gear box" is also used to describe the transmission, which is, indeed, lubircated with the same engine oil from the crankcase.

The secondary drive area (which is a separate reservoir) and the final drive (at the rear wheel) should have gear oil, which could be called "hypoid" oil or GL5.

Now this raises another question: does he know for sure that only gear oil was installed there? Or is he draining it and finding that engine oil is in there? Does it appear to be a mix or oils or does he suspect that engine oil is migrating into the secondary drive area?

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          It should have GEAR oil in the secondary drive area, if that is what you are calling "gear box".

The term can be a bit confusing because "gear box" is also used to describe the transmission, which is, indeed, lubircated with the same engine oil from the crankcase.

The secondary drive area (which is a separate reservoir) and the final drive (at the rear wheel) should have gear oil, which could be called "hypoid" oil or GL5.

Now this raises another question: does he know for sure that only gear oil was installed there? Or is he draining it and finding that engine oil is in there? Does it appear to be a mix or oils or does he suspect that engine oil is migrating into the secondary drive area?

He drained and replaced all the fluids when he bought the bike back in April. He said what he found in the secondary drive was definitely motor oil mixed with the gear oil. He's a pretty good mechanic and is pretty sure that one of the seals has gone bad. I just wanted to run it by you guys in case there is something simpler causing the issue.

Comment

Going to have to split the cases if the two oils are intermixing. Good bit of work there, but fun.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Been there, done that, did a thread about it. Lotta work, you can do it with the top end still on, check bearings while your in there. Be careful indexing the gear clips when reinstalling the cam dog. I got to do it twice due to this

Comment

Before doing all of that I would make sure, by draining it all and refilling it. Ride it and see if it intermixes again. Just to make absolutely sure someone (maybe even me) didn't accidently pour some of the wrong stuff in the wrong hole.
                Been there, done that, too.
                http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Thanks to everyone for their insight on this!

Comment

Tamara,

Tell your buddy, I feel your pain my man.

I went through that just last June. I was not looking forward to a complete engine teardown and like you I would have rather had a root canal that do that work. I had just done a top end refresh the year before and with the exception of the secondary drive seal problem the Zook was tip top mechanically. I ride my GS, allot, over the last three years I've ridden it 25k or so, and that was while I was pretty much doing a rolling restoration.

I documented my work here,

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/showthread.php?t=209765

I admit once I got down to it I really enjoyed the experience. Although these old GS's are amazing motorcycles I don't think the designers had any idea there would be such a cult following after thirty plus years and this many bikes still on the road. With a good amount of TLC they will virtually last forever. To do that you will eventually need to replace "all" of the rubber parts in the engine, seals, o-rings, gaskets and such. After so many heat cycles they eventually just break down.

I couldn't be happier with the results, the bike runs like new, I figure it will last longer than I will now. I just did another round trip to see family in San Diego two weeks ago, 900 mi in three days, traveled through undoubtedly the worst weather I have ever ridden a bike through, thunderstorms, lightning, rock slides, flash floods, rained so hard I could see maybe 30 feet in front of me at times. I took this once I got on the other side of it.

The Zook never missed a beat and ran perfectly.

Once your sure of the problem my recommendation would be to tell your Buddy to bite the bullet and do the work, what you end up with is a truly classic ride that you can ride anywhere with confidence.

Cheers

Comment

Gorgeous picture! He's going to bite the bullet and do the work. He loves his bike and wants to do right by it.

Originally posted by bbjumper View Post
                      Tamara,

Tell your buddy, I feel your pain my man.

I went through that just last June. I was not looking forward to a complete engine teardown and like you I would have rather had a root canal that do that work. I had just done a top end refresh the year before and with the exception of the secondary drive seal problem the Zook was tip top mechanically. I ride my GS, allot, over the last three years I've ridden it 25k or so, and that was while I was pretty much doing a rolling restoration.

I documented my work here,

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/showthread.php?t=209765

I admit once I got down to it I really enjoyed the experience. Although these old GS's are amazing motorcycles I don't think the designers had any idea there would be such a cult following after thirty plus years and this many bikes still on the road. With a good amount of TLC they will virtually last forever. To do that you will eventually need to replace "all" of the rubber parts in the engine, seals, o-rings, gaskets and such. After so many heat cycles they eventually just break down.

I couldn't be happier with the results, the bike runs like new, I figure it will last longer than I will now. I just did another round trip to see family in San Diego two weeks ago, 900 mi in three days, traveled through undoubtedly the worst weather I have ever ridden a bike through, thunderstorms, lightning, rock slides, flash floods, rained so hard I could see maybe 30 feet in front of me at times. I took this once I got on the other side of it.

The Zook never missed a beat and ran perfectly.

Once your sure of the problem my recommendation would be to tell your Buddy to bite the bullet and do the work, what you end up with is a truly classic ride that you can ride anywhere with confidence.

Cheers

Comment

Wish us luck! We're cracking the case on the 1100 tomorrow to see what's what with the oil going where it shouldn't.

Comment

Working...
                        X