Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mild pinging under load @ low rpm. Cause?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mild pinging under load @ low rpm. Cause?

Hey folks
    My GK is running like a champ except for some mild pinging when the throttle is opened at low rpm when under load like up hill, two up + luggage. Simply put - if I lug the motor. No problem if the rpms are higher or I choose a lower gear. Apart from this little issue it goes like the clappers if I open the taps, no pinging or hesitation just snarling hard addictive acceleration to the red line. Which is nice.

Where should I start my diagnosis then? I'm guessing a fresh carb sync will help but is that the root cause?

Please, I'm looking for knowledge on the general causes of pinging rather than the usual snaps about synching carbs, valve clearances etc which I'm very much aware of

Thanks in advance

Carb sync won't do anything for pinging.

Pinging is when the mixture is lighting before the spark sets it off.

Causes of pinging are: improper ignition timing, low-rpm running at heavy load, improper octane rating, improper fuel mixture.

If you have done all the basic maintenance, you will have proper fuel mixture and ignition timing. These bikes are made to run on low-octane fuel, but your running conditions might dictate a bump up to the next grade, on occasion.

In the meantime, the easiest solution is ...

DOWNSHIFT.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

My 1150 has always pinged slightly when the engine is lugged. It also needs premium fuel, or it becomes unhappy. I've often wondered if the pods, and their location behind a hot engine ( hot intake charge ) contributes to this.
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Exessive carbon in the head can cause pinging too.

Riding like an old lady does these bikes no good. Wind it out.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions guys.
          So, I need to stop riding like granny and try treating it to some high octane fuel. I think I can manage that!

GSR is the pups nuts

Comment

You can water clean the cylinders too.

Get the engine good and heated up with a fan in front of it. Slide the airbox back and run up the RPMs and squirt water into each carb intake. Keep the throttle up as the water will try to stall that cylinder. Keep it running and give each cylinder 4 or 5 good squirts with a spray bottle.

The concept is the same as if you put water in a hot skillet do deglaze it..except you are now deglazing the piston and valves.

Now that the cylinders and valves are carbon free, redo the vacuum sync and recheck the timing.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
              You can water clean the cylinders too.

Get the engine good and heated up with a fan in front of it. Slide the airbox back and run up the RPMs and squirt water into each carb intake. Keep the throttle up as the water will try to stall that cylinder. Keep it running and give each cylinder 4 or 5 good squirts with a spray bottle.

The concept is the same as if you put water in a hot skillet do deglaze it..except you are now deglazing the piston and valves.

Now that the cylinders and valves are carbon free, redo the vacuum sync and recheck the timing.
              Learn new stuff all time! Never heard of this method to de - carbon. Somewhat easier than disassembling the top end!

Comment

mine does the same thing(3-5k rpm, 85F+) Tried 89 octane, no change. I was advised to just change out the intake boots. Have them on order from Z1.

Comment

I suspect many will benefit from the actual cure. When changing the boots, I'm voing the give the water spray a shot too.

Comment

GelandStrasse,

Have you ever replaced a blown head gasket on a car? If youll notice the cylinder ( or cylinders ) that water has leaked into are as spotless as the day they were made..this is from the water and coolant deglazing the cylinders. Lots of blackish carbon crap will come out of the pipes, so I advise doing it outside.
                    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by GelandeStrasse View Post
                      Thanks for the suggestions guys.
                      So, I need to stop riding like granny and try treating it to some high octane fuel. I think I can manage that!

GSR is the pups nuts
                      Try some higher RPM before you waste your money on needless octane.

By the way, what RPM were you running when you noticed the pinging?

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

it occurs in the 3-5k range, under load.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                          Try some higher RPM before you waste your money on needless octane.

By the way, what RPM were you running when you noticed the pinging?

Silly low, like 1500 - 2000. I think it's just my riding style, gained from my time riding a large capacity twin that didn't bog down even pulling from below idle rpm.
                          Still, now I have the perfect excuse to accelerate hard a lot

Comment

There's nothing wrong with your bike

Never ride it at less than 3k rpm
                            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                            2007 DRz 400S
                            1999 ATK 490ES
                            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Bingo. My 245ci 6cyl Chrysler Valiant can chug along with those rpms, but these bikes are happiest north of 3 or 4k.

- boingk

Comment

Working...
                              X