No announcement yet.

Best sprocket for my GS750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did say it was being PHASED out in favor of the 530. Like you said, there may still be aew places that will still make it, but they are gonna go away due to the owners just not wanting to "special order" it and be waiting for their bikes back.

Many will see the wisdom in just doing the expense of the conversion once for the convience of having the parts readily available. I will be changing all my bikes out as the cash flow allows...but I have 7 bikes worth to do!!! OUCH!!!!
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by boingk View Post
      Hi mate, I swear by DID chains. They last well and don't cost the earth. Generally fitted as original equipment on modern Japanese bikes...
      Cheers - boingk
      DID, RK and Tsubaki all make very, very good chain. Each is fitted to different brands/models - so they can all be considered OEM chains. There's a number of no-name brands on the market. You have to be very careful with these - some are NOT good quality (some are made in China and don't come with very good tensile strength). Fortunately, only the established 'good' companies make 630 chain these days. Over then next few months, we'll be carrying a new line of 530 chain being launched by JT Sprockets. I had a chance to see this first hand at a couple of dealer events over the past year - very good quality

Don't ever consider buying a non o-ring chain for a street bike - they wear out incredibly quickly.

Round o-ring chain doesn't wear as well as the X-ring or WX-Ring chains. The extra grooves in the o-ring help trap grease inside the rollers and prevent dirt getting inside them. Value for money, we recommend the X-Ring chains on bikes that are ridden day-in and day-out - these chain will generally out perform regular o-ring chain by 50% or more on bikes ridden in all weathers..

Comment

Fortunately for the original poster, he is at the point that the entire works needs replaced.

He is the perfect guy to get the conversion done and be done with it for the rest of the bikes life. Gonna spend the money one way or another!!!
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

No question, do the conversion. It's so simple on Z-1. Shop by parts for your bike, pic the ratio you want, front, rear, I buy their RK x-ring chain, 6mm spacer, and slap it on the bike.
          Trouble free final drive.

When I first got my bike I didn't know any better and got just the 630 chain, non o-ring, no sprockets. Wore out in about 1500km.

Comment

Chuck, that's correct. I see no reason to waste money on a 630 kit, now.
            But I think I will hold off until Jeff gets those new chains. Then get it all from Z1.

Comment

Working...
            X