Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I make myself a breather gasket, or do I have to buy one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I make myself a breather gasket, or do I have to buy one?

81 GS650GL

I got excited and wanted to cut myself a new breather gasket, since mine is leaking kind of badly and I have the valve cover off. I did some searches, and I'm sure I can cut some gaskets (I cut one for the cam chain tensioner, which was also leaking), but don't know if this material will work for the breather.

On removal... ahem, destruction of the old gasket (I made sure that bikebandit had one I could buy if necessary), I found that there are two layers in the middle of the breather gasket. It looked like a cross between paper and leather (maybe a cereal box?).

Do I have to buy this gasket (and wait for shipping) or can I use the one I cut already? Can I just make myself two layers, or is it special somehow?

Cheers

Make your own. Should work fine. I've never seen 2 gaskets under a breather cover, maybe a quick "fix" from the PO?
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

you should find out why your breather cover is leaking oil badly!!!!!!! there should only be oil mist and fumes circulating up there, not lots of oil. is the mesh fitted to trap any oil mist?

if you have a lot of oil floating around way up there then you could have some engine problems.
      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
        you should find out why your breather cover is leaking oil badly!!!!!!! there should only be oil mist and fumes circulating up there, not lots of oil. is the mesh fitted to trap any oil mist?

if you have a lot of oil floating around way up there then you could have some engine problems.
        Yeah, there should be a slight mist- mine showed very little oil staining at 42k
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I think the "bad" leak was an exaggeration. It just looks bad, but it's obviously been weeping oil for a while. I noticed that my valve cover bolts were none too tight either, and I think that may have been leaking some too.

Comment

the gaskets are thick and leather like.
            i doubt you can find a similar material to make one.
            also...it is common to break an ear off the cover when tightening if the gasket squeezes out on the corner.

Comment

The gasket appeared to be about 1mm or more thick. Much thicker than this 1/32 or 1/64 gasket material I have. I'll try to post a photo of the gasket's two layers.

Comment

i'm just saying on the GS's...they have a thick gasket for the breather cover.
                once it get's oil on it...it swell's up some what.

Comment

Autoparts stores sell gasket material sheet. Get the stuff suitable for oil and fuel contact - looks and feels sort of rubberized. A paper hole punch is the perfect size for making the screw holes. I've made a bunch of gaskets, including those for a stator cover and carb floatbowl, and it's worked out well each time.
                  Last edited by Nessism; 08-02-2013, 04:15 PM.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I tried a valve cover gasket from Realgaskets which is made of silicone. Bad day at the race track. Tried to seal it 3 times... no good. Bought one from Z1 and have had no problems. I guess I can use the $37.00 silicone one as a template if I need to. Really disappointed in the silicone one...
                    Curt
                    sigpic'85 GS1150 1428 14-1 200+hp Hang On

Comment

Originally posted by WilliamGLX81 View Post
                      81 GS650GL

I got excited and wanted to cut myself a new breather gasket, since mine is leaking kind of badly and I have the valve cover off. I did some searches, and I'm sure I can cut some gaskets (I cut one for the cam chain tensioner, which was also leaking), but don't know if this material will work for the breather.

On removal... ahem, destruction of the old gasket (I made sure that bikebandit had one I could buy if necessary), I found that there are two layers in the middle of the breather gasket. It looked like a cross between paper and leather (maybe a cereal box?).

Do I have to buy this gasket (and wait for shipping) or can I use the one I cut already? Can I just make myself two layers, or is it special somehow?

Cheers
                      I may have a gasket for you. I was sent the wrong one and they told me to keep it and sent me the right one. Your gasket looks like a T right? http://www.boulevardsuzuki.com/fiche...1981&fveh=2128
                      Last edited by mrbill5491; 08-02-2013, 05:38 PM.
                      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Thick gasket paper works just fine, it's not that choosy and application.
                        "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Originally posted by Allie View Post

Thick gasket paper works just fine, it's not that choosy and application.
                          Ha ha
                          Nurse Ratchet (sp?)
                          One of my Favorite movies of all time
                          Sorry for the hijack
                          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I believe it's spelled 'Ratched'. It's... medication time!
                            "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                              I may have a gasket for you. I was sent the wrong one and they told me to keep it and sent me the right one. Your gasket looks like a T right? http://www.boulevardsuzuki.com/fiche...1981&fveh=2128
                              Yup, that's the one. Sort of like a T, with two big holes right next to the upper bolt-holes and two holes on the center line for the JIS head bolts. #9 on that fiche. I'd be happy to take it off your hands for the cost of postage.

Comment

Working...
                              X