Removing 1100 from frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing 1100 from frame

Had a busy day wrenching. We've got everything detached from the engine and just need to get the recalcitrant engine bolts to let go and we can slide the engine out. I was worried about the header bolts but they loosened up with no issues. Once the engine is out, we can crack the case and find out why oil is mixing in with the hypoid oil.

removal

If it is a G or GK and you are putting the bike on it's side to slide the motor out...

Do yourself a favor and use a 2 x 4 under the clutch cover while it is on it's side. The 1100 is a large engine in the frame . If the angle isn't quite right the motor will jam itself into the frame at weird angles, but never come free.

I learned on the first 30 minute attempt. After resetting the motor back into place (another 20 minutes) and a refreshing adult beverage I used the 2 x 4 to hold the motor level, and my wife assisted easily pulling the frame off the motor. 5 minutes from start to finish and we were enjoying another cold adult beverage.

Comment

How much of the bike is torn down?Dr._puter is right,with a bare frame that is the easiest way.A little less so with everything left on the frame.

Comment

Working...
      X