Need help from all you 1100 shaft riders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help from all you 1100 shaft riders

Looking for some help on my next project, an '82 1100G. I recently got 2 '82 1100's, one a G model, and one an L model. The guy I got them from said he got them from another guy, through another guy, etc. with the story being that the engine from the L model was to be put into the G model. That's all he knew about them. This is my first foray into shaft bikes!

The G model is pretty much all there but it looks like there was a fairing plus some other electrical add-ons, as there is a toggle switch at the handle bars, another on-off switch on the left side, and another relay switch setup under the tank. The odometer shows a bit over 37K miles and the engine looks fairly crusty with rust on a lot of the bolt heads and some oxidation on other parts. Like it may have sat outside at some point. But the tank is clean as a whistle inside and all the side covers are close to perfect.

The L model is pretty much just an engine on a rolling chasis, the odometer shows a bit over 6K, looks really clean and the idea of the engine swap, after looking at the bikes, sounds plausible.

First, after taking the tanks off, etc. it looks as if the engines are just a bit different in size. I think it's an optical illusion because of the different frames and the fact that one bike is missing the cam caps. I've checked the motor mounts and they are in the same spots. I've also got the engine numbers and they seem to be correct to both be 1100 engines. G model engine number: U701-104687, the L engine number: U701-105796. Can someone tell me for sure these are both 1100 engines and that an engine swap from an L to a G model shouldn't be a problem?

Second, it seems as if the shift lever mount on the L model is a lot smaller than the G model, and the G model shift lever won't go on right. So, am I to assume with the engine swap, I should also swap the gear shift lever and rear brake lever?

Third, will the L engine mount right up with the primary shaft gears of the G model okay? Or would it be more correct to transfer the entire drive shaft and rear wheel to keep everything "lined up"?

Sorry for a long post but did I mention it's my first time working on a shaft bike? Thanks all.
    sigpic

1974 GT750 ...done, running and sold
    1974 GT550 .... under construction (done and sold)
    1978 GS550........all stock, running (going to do 550/650 build with it)
    1978 GS1000...another project (Given to son #2)
    1982 GS750EZ ...daily driver(given to son#1)
    1982 GS1100G...completed and traded to son #2 for the 750 back
    1982 GS750EZ...daily driver (got it back in trade with son #2)
    1983 GR650 Tempter.... engine rebuild completed (and sold)

Long post short answer: the engines are the same other than minor differences in gear ratios.

Last edited by Nessism; 08-02-2013, 10:41 AM.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Ok, thanks for clarifying that for me. It's greatly appreciated.

So I see by the chart they also have different rear wheel sizes. So I guess I'll be able to just switch engines and use the shaft and rear tire already on the G?

And I'll have to transfer the gear shift lever and brake lever on the L along with the engine to the G? Hopefully they won't be to far off with the G's foot pegs. Thanks again.
      sigpic

1974 GT750 ...done, running and sold
      1974 GT550 .... under construction (done and sold)
      1978 GS550........all stock, running (going to do 550/650 build with it)
      1978 GS1000...another project (Given to son #2)
      1982 GS750EZ ...daily driver(given to son#1)
      1982 GS1100G...completed and traded to son #2 for the 750 back
      1982 GS750EZ...daily driver (got it back in trade with son #2)
      1983 GR650 Tempter.... engine rebuild completed (and sold)

Comment

Working...
      X