Balancing a roller bearing crankshaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Balancing a roller bearing crankshaft

I'm contemplating rebuilding the 1166 motor in my 1100E this fall after the riding season is over. In an effort to make it as smooth and vibration free as possible I wanted to have the balance of the rotating assembly verified. I'm not sure how that works with a welded roller bearing crankshaft that you can't (conveniently anyway) disassemble and remove the connecting rods from. So my question is (Ray, Terry) what is the procedure for having a welded roller bearing crank with connecting rods balanced? Or is it even possible? All my experience is with V-8 auto engines where you would balance the crank and rods separately.

you can balance the rods and that's about it.
    just the crank being trued correctly should keep the bad frequencies under control.
    call pearson..he'll give you the low down.
    937-839-9723

Comment

the simple reply is....leave it alone, the chances of improving the balance comes at great expense to dismantle the crank, balance the rods then reassemble, reweld crank... the rods are usually pretty good in my experience
      just check the crank is running true and bearing are ok

ozman

Comment

No, I don't want to disassemble the rods from the crank - that is for sure! I just didn't know if there was some kind of special machine/fixture/procedure for checking the rotating assembly balance with the rods still on the crank. Thanks!

Comment

Are your carbs balanced?
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Falicon does what they call blueprint and dynamic balancing of the crankshafts. Not really sure what is all involved with that procedure though. A bit pricey also at 630 bucks http://www.faliconcranks.com/pt_price.html
            sigpic 82 gs1100ez 1168 Wiseco,Web .348 Cams,Falicon Sprockets,Star Racing Ported Head,1mm o/s Stainless Valves,APE Springs,Bronze Guides,etc.APE Billet Tensioner,36CV Carbs,Stage 3 Dynojet,Plenum w/K&N filter,Trued,Welded,Balanced,Crank w/Katana rods & Billet left end, FBG backcut trans, VHR HD Clutch basket,APE nut,VHR High volume oil pump gears,1150 Oil cooler,V&H Megaphone header w/Competition baffle,Dyna S,Coils,Wires,etc.Other misc.mods.

Comment

Send the crank and rods to APE and they will take care of it. Then place the pistons with the rings and wrist pins on a triple beam and make all the pistons weight the same as the lightest one. I make all my pistons weight within a tenth of a gram. Well worth the cost IMO.
              I would steer clear of Falcon
              Last edited by stetracer; 08-06-2013, 09:30 AM.
              My stable
              84 GSX1100EFG-10.62 @ 125 mph 64'' W/B.
              85 GS1150-9.72@146mph stock W/B.
              88 GSXR1100-dragbike 9.18@139.92mph/5.68@118mph.
              98 Bandit 1200-9.38@146mph/6.02@121mph.
              90 Suzuki GS 1425cc FBG Pro Stock chassis 5.42@124mph
              06 GSXR750 10.44@135mph
              00 Honda elite 80 pit bike

Comment

Originally posted by stetracer View Post
                Send the crank and rods to APE and they will take care of it. Then place the pistons with the rings and wrist pins on a triple beam and make all the pistons weight the same as the lightest one. I make all my pistons weight within a tenth of a gram. Well worth the cost IMO.
                Thanks for the word. Curious on the piston balancing - where would you remove material to equalize the weight - the pin boss??

Comment

Big waste of time. Yes on making sure your crank is in good condition, but minor balancing tweaking will do nothing.

The reason modern big bore I4 engines are vibration free is because they use a balance shaft. No amount of balancing will make your engine as smooth as a balance shaft engine.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

minimizing vibes...

I've been wanting some info on lessening the vibes on my '83 GS1100e, the hands really tingle in the 4-4.5k range, a pain on a longer run that spoils an otherwise great bike...any good tricks/tweaks to lessen the vibes???

Comment

Originally posted by fast eddie 52 View Post
                      I've been wanting some info on lessening the vibes on my '83 GS1100e, the hands really tingle in the 4-4.5k range, a pain on a longer run that spoils an otherwise great bike...any good tricks/tweaks to lessen the vibes???
                      After my head was ported and all flow rates matched the buzz was reduced

Comment

I have an old unknown mileage 1100 in my street bike. It hums at the same 4 to 4500 revs... I just go faster... if not an option you can always change gearing to
                        cruise higher or lower...
                        Curt
                        sigpic'85 GS1150 1428 14-1 200+hp Hang On

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                          After my head was ported and all flow rates matched the buzz was reduced
                          a reduced buzz is not a good thing IMO

Comment

Originally posted by fast eddie 52 View Post
                            There was an article out at one time dealing with vibration on motorcycles. the idea was to loosen the engine mount bolts a bit and try to wiggle the engine on it's mounts. Then examine the mounts for gaps between the engine and the mounts for space between them. Use washers to fill the gapd and torque the fasteners. Mine's smooth after that. Also chain adjustment can make for more vibration.
                            1980 GS1000E

Comment

Originally posted by stetracer View Post
                              We do not balance the assembled roller bearing cranks.

A number of years ago, I spoke with one of the real geniuses in the racing biz who said he balanced them. He told me exactly how he did it. ( what he did with the rods). I had a customers crank in the shop, so we put it into the balancer just like this guy said he did. Spun it up and one end was out considerably.

However, not being 100% sure I was getting an accurate reading doing this, I chose not to remove anything from the guys crank.
                              Speed Merchant
                              http://www.gszone.biz

Comment

Working...
                              X