Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clutch is dragging a bit and very heavy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch is dragging a bit and very heavy.

Just got my new clutch cable installed. Even with it adjusted as far as possible to give the most movement there still seems to be a little drag when it's fully pulled in. I can't get neutral unless I shut it off.

Also the clutch feels very heavy to me. Is that normal?

I am wondering if the previous owner possibly put a heavy duty clutch or something like that... he did some other "race" mods, fork brace, stiffened up the front and rear suspension.

If it is normal for it to be that heavy is there any way to convert it to a hydraulic setup?.. and would that help.

Thanks..
    Ken

It just be a feather pull, lighter than a lot of modern hydraulic clutches, but a lot of owners put in big clutch springs for some reason.
    Put in the stock springs, lube everything, it's a pinky pull.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Thanks.. that what I was thinking. There is no way they could sell a bike with a clutch that feels this bad..

I will take a look at it an order some parts.

Ken

Comment

What bike?
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Sorry.. it's an 82 GS1100g.

Comment

cable route

My question is similar to the OP's. Mine is a GS1000G. Question is, does anybody have a pic of the cable route. Mine is heavy to pull and a bit "jerky" when I release it. I suspect the cable routing is a bit tight somewhere. Yes I did lube it but it made no difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockman View Post
              My question is similar to the OP's. Mine is a GS1000G. Question is, does anybody have a pic of the cable route. Mine is heavy to pull and a bit "jerky" when I release it. I suspect the cable routing is a bit tight somewhere. Yes I did lube it but it made no difference.
              I ran mine. From the clutch cover over to the left, then bend up between the far left carb and the next one. Then up, and along the center tube under the gas tank. Then I think to the left of the center of the triple tree, and then to the lever. I did not take pictures at the time. sorry. Hope that helps. Mine is not grabbing it's smooth. Just REALLY REALLY heavy. And even with all the play taken out.. it still drags just a little at idle.

Comment

If the cable isn't worn, or kinked, someone probably added heavier springs. Check also the lever and perch for wear.

You did replace the cable with a Suzuki OEM one, right?
                http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Cable is brand new. Not kinked. I guess its an OE cable. It looks just like the one that was on there. I'm betting someone changed the springs. will have to fix that. Makes the bike a chore to ride.

Comment

Working...
                  X