Running on 3 cylinders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running on 3 cylinders

I am bringing an 82 GS850GLZ back to life. I bought it cheap, but it has been sitting since 99. I did a full carb clean (yes, I completely disassembled and dipped them) replaced all the o-rings (thanks Robert) and installed new boots and o-rings. Did a bench synch of the carbs, and mixture screws turned out 2-1/2 turns. The bike is completely stock with original airbox and good filter. The exhaust is also stock.

New battery and new plugs, she fired right up! A little tinkering with the idle knob and got a steady idle at 1100 rpm's. Throttle response is good. The problem is #1 exhaust header stays cold. I swapped the coils (actually just moved the 1 & 2 wires to 3 & 4, and vice versa) since they would all reach. #1 is still cold. Compression is pretty close across all 4 cylinders, though #1 is a little higher than the rest.

Does anyone know what could be the problem? Maybe a stuck valve? Please help!
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9zH8w8Civs8ejBJWjdvYi1LNTg&resourcekey=0-hlJp0Yc4K_VN9g7Jyy4KQg&authuser=fussbucket_1%40msn.com&usp=drive_fs
    1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
    1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

If the valve was stuck your compression would show it.
    Take out the pilot jet on #1 and reclean it.
    Last edited by chef1366; 08-04-2013, 05:58 PM.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by jsandidge View Post
      I am bringing an 82 GS850GLZ back to life. I bought it cheap, but it has been sitting since 99. I did a full carb clean (yes, I completely disassembled and dipped them) replaced all the o-rings (thanks Robert) and installed new boots and o-rings. Did a bench synch of the carbs, and mixture screws turned out 2-1/2 turns. The bike is completely stock with original airbox and good filter. The exhaust is also stock.

New battery and new plugs, she fired right up! A little tinkering with the idle knob and got a steady idle at 1100 rpm's. Throttle response is good. The problem is #1 exhaust header stays cold. I swapped the coils (actually just moved the 1 & 2 wires to 3 & 4, and vice versa) since they would all reach. #1 is still cold. Compression is pretty close across all 4 cylinders, though #1 is a little higher than the rest.

Does anyone know what could be the problem? Maybe a stuck valve? Please help!

the infernal combustion engine requires 3 things to make it go
      compression... you seem to have eliminated this by your checking
      spark.....you seem to have eliminated this as well by swapping coils although there is the rare chance of a dud sparkplug
      fuel..... the only remaining issue that must be the cause of your problem, is the plug wet ? if not your not getting fuel as chef said try clean that carbs pilot jet
      at higher revs the cylinder should start to fire up when it gets fuel from the main jet have you tried that ?

ozman

Comment

Thanks guys

Thanks Chef and Oz. You guys must be right. #1 does heat up when I run up the throttle. I'll clean that pilot jet again. Next up is valve adjustment and vacuum synch.
        https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9zH8w8Civs8ejBJWjdvYi1LNTg&resourcekey=0-hlJp0Yc4K_VN9g7Jyy4KQg&authuser=fussbucket_1%40msn.com&usp=drive_fs
        1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

If that is not the problem the vacuum sync is way off.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Firing on all 4!

Success! After parts delays (dealer gave me the wrong valve cover gasket), I'm running on all 4. I re-cleaned #1 carb and adjusted valves. Won't get to wrench tomorrow, but Sunday will see the vacuum synch. She runs pretty good already, can't wait to hear it after the synch!
            1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Working...
            X