Remove engine 1100L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remove engine 1100L

We've detached all the wires/cables, removed the exhaust, separated the tranny from the shaft drive and we're stuck on how to get the engine out of the frame. There is one unremovable lower rear engine bracket on the rear side of the tranny that is impeding our ability to slide the engine out. My question is how do we get the engine past that pesky bracket????

We got it out!!! It took a lot of manhandling, car jack and plywood but it's out .

Comment

The engine mounts on one side unbolt .
      I take them out then tip the bike over on that side (onto a matress) then lift the frame off the engine . I put it back in the same way .
      Anyway , you got it .

Cheers , Simon .
      http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...esMapSimon.jpg

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

Originally posted by simon kuether View Post
        The engine mounts on one side unbolt .
        I take them out then tip the bike over on that side (onto a matress) then lift the frame off the engine . I put it back in the same way .
        Anyway , you got it .

Cheers , Simon .
        On the L model, the rear lower engine brackets are welded to the frame. We took off the other brackets. To put it back in, we're going to use a tripod and a come along.

Comment

the way I put the engine back in....

Engine installation...... Well, it's finally done, the engine that is, it is back in the frame..... So my ...

Comment

Removing the breather cover and maybe even the valve cover, gives you a little extra wiggle room. I use a car engine hoist and rachet straps

Comment

Tamara how did you make out so far on getting engine out,Brian

Comment

Originally posted by matt1100 View Post
                Removing the breather cover and maybe even the valve cover, gives you a little extra wiggle room. I use a car engine hoist and rachet straps
                We took the breather cover off. He was reluctant to take the valve cover off because he worried the rockers could get damaged in the process.

Comment

Working...
                X