Oil comming from the Shaft boot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil comming from the Shaft boot

Firstly a quick recap on what's been happening with me. After buying my second GS (1100G), I have been working on it to get it back on the road. I sorted the electrics. Then the leaking sump or so I thought, as it turns out the PO left out 2 crankcase bolts for some unknown reason. I got it taxed and tested and was on the road, until I did the shims and ended up somehow loosing a nut into the cam chain tunnel and after all sorts of trying to get it out, I decided to swap the G motor for my GL motor which is waiting a resto..... so forget about the G for now, on the GL (donor motor) I had noticed oil coming from the large rubber Boot and reading threads everything indicated bearings and seal in the secondary driven gear, so I drained the secondary oil which was very contaminated (smooth creamy yellow) then pulled out the motor and cleaned up the oil in that area and refilled the secondary oil to see if there were any signs of a leak also checked the play which does not seem excessive ( I think ) the thing that took me away from the driven gear was that the leaking oil was clear and not contaminated like the secondary oil. Next I pulled the prop shaft and it was dripping with oil, I compared it to the prop on my 1100G which is dry. So looking at the manual diagram I guess the prop shaft seal in the final drive must be shot. Any comments before I make my final verdict??
    Last edited by Guest; 08-06-2013, 06:25 AM.

I'd also worry about leak from crankcase overfilling secondary drive and then running towards rear seal - florida poster (tamara) had this kind of leak. search through her posts
    Last edited by tom203; 08-06-2013, 12:17 PM. Reason: info
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I too had that happen. The chocolate milk secondary drive oil is from water mixing with the oil, you'll probably find that the drain hose from the s/d vent ends up in the bottom of the starter cavity where it picks up water and siphons it back into the secondary drive. Mine did this after I washed my hot engine following a ride. When you ride it, it's overfilled and pressurizes the case ruining the seals between the transmission, secondary drive and prop shaft. Definitely an OH $HIT moment.

This is how I handled it,

Place your 4 cylinder GS engine, drivetrain or clutch related questions in this forum.

Oh and the reason the oil in the tunnel isn't milky is once it heats up the water evaporates and the oil is essentially clear again, mine did that. I have about 2k since the teardown and no more leaks of any kind and she runs like new.

Good luck with yours and if it's any consolation when you get done, you'll have a classic that will probably last another thirty years with little or no issues.

Cheers

Comment

assume the worst then!! I'm going to have to look up exactly where the water is coming from.... hmm my options? the issue I have is my workshop is being re-roofed at the moment, plus I'm out of funds until the end of September, and would prefer to get some light riding in before the end of the summer season. Also I would like to try out this (unknown) GL engine in the G, but doing so with the knowledge that it has a big problem that needs monitoring and fixing, the other known issue I have with this motor in the clutch, seems I'd lost a spring and they were all loose .... so whats the worst than can happen if I ride it as it is?

and for the benefit of others here is what the oil looked like

Comment

Paul,

Swap clutches, using one with missing parts is never a good idea and your secondary drive oil looks just like mine did.

Comment

OK well I'll swap the motor, the practice will do me good then shim swap all the shims I just took out of the GL ... and yep will make sure I sort that clutch out...Cheers!!

Comment

Working...
            X