Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

top end rebuild issue

sorry for the repost....

Just broke 2 #2 piston rings... if the ring gaps are within spec can i reuse the old ones?

Do they sell individual rings anywhere?

So aggravated...
    -Mark
    Boston, MA
    Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
    sigpic
    1980 GS850G with 79 carbs.....

As long as the rings are within spec, you should be able to reuse them.

Comment

Why were the old ones being replaced? Compression issue, smoking? Is there any shape left on the old rings?
      Dogma
      --
      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
      '80 GS850 GLT
      '80 GS1000 GT
      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Compression and high miles on the bike99k when i got it... Turns out one ring was usable. Ill have to find anothwr or buy a kit. Im going to put a call into hastings monday and see what they may have.
        -Mark
        Boston, MA
        Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
        sigpic
        1980 GS850G with 79 carbs.....

Comment

While you are in there mic the bores and bead hone. Might as well replace all the rings as they aren't that expensive if the piston clearance is ok.
          NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
          Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Working...
          X