Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you run a different clutch rod in a 77/78 GS550?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you run a different clutch rod in a 77/78 GS550?

I have what I believe to be a late 77/early78 GS550, which at some point before I owned it, the clutch pushrod bent on the outside end and wallered out the oil seal, to the point where it leaks oil EVERYWHERE at idle and worse at higher RPM's.

I've purchased a replacement seal from a local parts house and a used clutch rod "from a '77" from Sport Wheels junkyard, only to find that my clutch rod has a fatter midsection with what appears to be a bearing surface on the fat section, while the replacement is uniform in diameter except for the oil slinger. The ends are identical however, to the point where I'm wondering if I can just run the replacement I received without issue, or if I need to find myself the exact replacement or sleeve the one I have so it'll fit.

I guess I'm concerned about it sagging and whipping at the midsection at higher RPM's, though I'm not sure if that's a valid concern or not. I could definitely turn and braze a new midsection on my lathe but it would be a tight fit and I'm worried about finding the time to do it and bending the new rod when I install it.

In case you are wondering the part # for the rod has been superseded and all part numbers are NLA from every parts house I've called.
Working...
X