Cam Chain Guides - where to buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cam Chain Guides - where to buy?

Ok, I looked over my plastic guides and they have little cracks all over them. I need to replace them while I have the cases split.

Currently showing approx $80 bucks from BS for two little pieces of plastic. Ouch!

Anyone know of cheaper source?

Thanks.
    1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
    1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
    2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Those things are not cheap!
    Check out the prices here (be ready for a heart attack!)

You might find something here, and you may have to do a bit of cross referencing, but that's not so bad if you can save a few hundred dollars, good luck!
    Get the best deals for Gs550 Cam Chain Guides at eBay.com. We have a great online selection at the lowest prices with Fast & Free shipping on many items!
    sigpic
    Steve
    "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Suzuki Monster Parts has the front one (#2 on fiche) for my bike for $27.00. The back one is expensive! terrylee

Comment

Yeah, that's what I figured. Dang this rebuild has completely blown the budget out. I'm in 600.00 already and now I gotta drop another 80 for two pieces of plastic. This is going to be a 900.00 dollar engine rebuild by the time it's over...
        1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja

Comment

Oops, I was way off. It's not 80 bucks. The rear one is 347.00 bucks!! Dang that's just stupid. I'm thinking of buying a block of chain guide plastic stock and cutting my own. Will be 1/10 the price if I can do it. Man this just blows...
          1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja

Comment

Makes me wonder if sometimes a motor swap could be an option!

1979 GS1000

Comment

I did. My original crank was bad so I bought a complete 550 lower end but it did not have the chain guides. With the 650 jugs, cylinders and head I'm about 450 for the motor which isn't so bad. It's all this other junk like clutch, an upgraded R/R, gaskets, cam chain guides for 357.00 dollars that are killing me. I can put my old ones back in and hope for the best but I can see the hairline cracks in the plastic so It's just a matter of time.

I did find that the 1983 front guide is way cheaper than the 82 version but it's a different part number. I can't see much of a diff though from the fische. My plan now is to try and find a cheaper version that will work. Any help would be appreciated.
              1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja

Comment

the cracks are normal over time.
                i wouldn't sweat it.
                i also wouldn't pay the price they want for a new one.
                if you was running heavy valve springs and big cams...that would put a lot of pressure on the chain/guides...when running stock parts the chain is just sliding across the guide.
                in the end it's your call.

Comment

Working...
                X