No announcement yet.

GS Big Block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My buddy is riding a 77 kz1000 with a turbo without an oil cooler... no over heating problems with it at all.... he ported the heads, but the bottom end is not far from stock.... but like someone said earlier, he did tons of break and suspension work to it first! It's the bike that won street special at the Indianapolis cycle world rolling concourse...... and it runs on pump gas!

Comment

Originally posted by barnfresh 78gs View Post
      My buddy is riding a 77 kz1000 with a turbo without an oil cooler... no over heating problems with it at all.... he ported the heads, but the bottom end is not far from stock.... but like someone said earlier, he did tons of break and suspension work to it first! It's the bike that won street special at the Indianapolis cycle world rolling concourse...... and it runs on pump gas!
      The Kawis COME with straight cut crank & clutch gears already & it will run on pump gas till he puts it on boost good ONCE! Ray.

Comment

That's true ray, he put a lock up clutch on it.... but he's afraid of running the boost to it's full potential because it might eat the stock gear box.... (I think 2nd is it's weak point)...even with that said, it's wicked fast! Lol

Comment

Does anyone know of a writeup for the bandit 1200 motor install in a GS chassis? I haven't been able to find much. The wiring is my biggest concern.
          I just found someone in my city selling a 1999 bandit 1200 motor for $700.
          Last edited by Guest; 08-25-2013, 10:21 PM.

Comment

OSS has the drawings on their site somewhere. Keep in mind, the GS motors make more TORQUE & that is what moves a bike as heavy as a GS! Ray.

Comment

Mine was pretty straight forward same number of wires for ignition I would use Gsxr, bandit or katana coils. The alternator just needs a switched 12v on the excite wire and the charge wire runs through a 30a circuit breaker to the battery.
              sigpic1982 gs750e 1186 oil cooled engine USD front mono shock rear
              1994 gsxr1100w
              1981 gs1260dragbike (this one I've owned for29yrs)

Comment

after reading this I am still thinking on doing a 1326, what I would like to know is there any advantage in using a 1150 block over a 83 1100e block , or use a aftermarket block ,

Comment

Originally posted by wildeye View Post
                  after reading this I am still thinking on doing a 1326, what I would like to know is there any advantage in using a 1150 block over a 83 1100e block , or use a aftermarket block ,
                  I'll let you hijack my thread, as soon as someone sends me a writeup on installing a bandit 1200 engine.
                  akckhim - What did you do for the tach? It looks like the bandit has an electronic tach. Are you using Bandit gauges?

I can answer to your question slightly though, I believe the 1100 and 1150 blocks are the same, just with a different bore/stroke. Do you already have an 1100 block?
                  Last edited by Guest; 08-26-2013, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by yoshisakan View Post
                    I'll let you hijack my thread, as soon as someone sends me a writeup on installing a bandit 1200 engine.

I can answer to your question slightly though, I believe the 1100 and 1150 blocks are the same, just with a different bore/stroke. Do you already have an 1100 block?
                    IIRC, The 1150 cylinder is thicker and can be bored larger. The 72mm 1100 can be done +3mm to 1166 75 mm . The 1150 is already 74 mm but I think can probably go +3 mm from there (1229 or 77mm). Check out the ape website the list all the piston combinations.

Wow. I just checked APE is no longer listing GS1100/GS1150 pistons. I wonder if these have all been discontinued?

Dynoman still lists them all.

The finest in motorcycle performance products for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, and Yamaha
                    Last edited by posplayr; 08-26-2013, 01:11 PM.

Comment

No one has a shelf piston in a 77mm bore, with an 18mm pin for an 1100 anymore. I have a standing order at CP for these as I do 3-7 of them a year still. The 77mm pistons you see out there are all either for a 20mm wrist pin or high compression. Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by akckhim View Post
                        Mine was pretty straight forward same number of wires for ignition I would use Gsxr, bandit or katana coils. The alternator just needs a switched 12v on the excite wire and the charge wire runs through a 30a circuit breaker to the battery.
                        Use the 1150. The 1260 sleeves are too thin to go 1327, and if you try to put the 1327 sleeve in an 1100 block it will probably break thru into the air passages.
                        Speed Merchant
                        http://www.gszone.biz

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                          Want to bet?!! Ive DONE it! I had a 1400 daily driver in HAWAII, in traffic EVERY day, 182 @ the rear wheel at 9200 rpm & not 1 problem in 2 years. Ray.
                          What was fuel consumption like?
                          I'm not being sarcastic, Winter is coming and I'm gathering information.
                          It will be my daily driver. I don't think I'll do 1400 but I can use it as a maximum.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jay View Post
                            Once you get over 1260 / 1327cc you would need a cylinder head that cost more than the rest of the motorcycle, just to feed it.

The bigger motors require heads that have relocated and/or canted intake valves to try and get 33 mm valves in it. That is very high maintaince stuff.

I was glad when the busa came out so we didn't have to build that kind of stuff anymore.

Now it is just 1260/1327 with 29.5/24 heads for street bikes.
                            I'm wondering if this The GS Resources has an unbiased list of businesses to deal with. Not because they get payed to mention there name but because of good references and community involvement?

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                              A 31/27 head will support over 250 HP on a 1500 cc motor so I disagree with the "unobtanium" headwork for big motors. Yes, Busa heads are a better platform for headwork but the GS heads are what we have been dealt & I do the best I can with the hand I have been dealt. Big GS street motors are a BLAST due to their torque advantage more than just about anything else. Hell, you want some REAL fun, a 1400cc GS, with STOCK head & cams, with correctly jetted 1150 carbs will smoke the back tire in 2nd gear roll ons!!! The torque from a motor like that WILL yank your arms straight! Until you have ridden a bike with a motor like that you just have NO idea! Ray.
                              Now I don't know what to believe?
                              I'll keep reading.

Comment

Any business mentioned here is not paid advertising or sponsorship. This is the so called "word of mouth". If someone has a problem with a vendor, it is pretty quickly known. Ray
                                "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
                                GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
                                1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
                                1979 GS1000SN The new hope
                                1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Working...
                                X