"Loose" intake valve clearances

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Loose" intake valve clearances

Bare with me on this, as I am a newbie to working on Valves. Since the bike is torn down thought it would be a good idea to check the valve shim clearances. In doing so I have printed out the Valve shim sheet and noted all my clearances and what current shims are in the bike.

So my real question is on #3 and #4 intake valves, the clearances are .007" with both having shims of 2.45. Is there something I need to worry about with that much clearance or just get a 2.50 shim for each valve.

Just for reference here is how everything measured out and the shims

....................................Exhaust
    Gap .002............Gap .003............Gap .0015...........Gap .003
    Shim 2.65...........Shim 2.60...........Shim 2.60............Shim 2.55x

......#1....................#2.................... #3.....................#4

....................................Intake
    Gap .004............Gap .003............Gap .007............Gap .007
    Shim 2.60...........Shim 2.55x.........Shim 2.45...........Shim 2.45

Thanks for helping a newbie out
    Last edited by Guest; 08-16-2013, 06:00 PM.

to start id swap exhaust 1 and 3 then recheck what you need for exhaust 3
    recheck ex 1 while your going
    ozman

Comment

The specs call for a range between .003 to .008. Oz is right, your intakes are in spec, but you're tight on exhaust 1 & 3.
      https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9zH8w8Civs8ejBJWjdvYi1LNTg&resourcekey=0-hlJp0Yc4K_VN9g7Jyy4KQg&authuser=fussbucket_1%40msn.com&usp=drive_fs
      1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
      1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Exhaust valves get hotter than intake valves. I always set my exhaust with more clearance than the intakes.
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
          Exhaust valves get hotter than intake valves. I always set my exhaust with more clearance than the intakes.

very good advice there i like 0.06 to 0.08 on exhausts for that reason
          0.04 to 0.06 on inlets
          i talk in mm not imperial thou

ozman
          Last edited by Guest; 08-16-2013, 10:16 PM. Reason: left out the decimal point !

Comment

I like to run max clearance to be on the safe side.
            NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
            Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Have you emailed Steve for his spreadsheet yet?
              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by jsandidge View Post
                The specs call for a range between .003 to .008. Oz is right, your intakes are in spec, but you're tight on exhaust 1 & 3.
                BE VERY CAREFUL WITH THIS ADVICE.

The proper clearance specifications are 0.03 to 0.08 mm. Note that there is only ONE zero between the decimal and the first non-zero number.

If you are using INCH measurement devices, the specifications are 0.0012 to 0.0031". Note that there are two zeros between the decimal and the first non-zero number.

It is also very important to note that there is a number 3 in both sets of specs, but one is for maximum clearance, the other is for minimum clearance.

Norman, I would switch your #3 and #4 intakes to 2.55s, and your #3 exhaust to 2.55, assuming that you are using INCH measurements.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  BE VERY CAREFUL WITH THIS ADVICE.

The proper clearance specifications are 0.03 to 0.08 mm. Note that there is only ONE zero between the decimal and the first non-zero number.

If you are using INCH measurement devices, the specifications are 0.0012 to 0.0031". Note that there are two zeros between the decimal and the first non-zero number.

It is also very important to note that there is a number 3 in both sets of specs, but one is for maximum clearance, the other is for minimum clearance.

Norman, I would switch your #3 and #4 intakes to 2.55s, and your #3 exhaust to 2.55, assuming that you are using INCH measurements.

Yes I was using inch measurements. I should have stated that earlier.

Ok good at least my thinking was similar to yours. I was just over thinking it.

Thank you all for your inputs.

Comment

Got the shims, now to find time to go to the shop and check clearances.

Thanks again for all the help, will report back shortly.

Comment

Working...
                    X