piston rings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

piston rings

hello to all my 79 GS1000 only has 21000 miles on it but the base gasket is leaking just did a total restore of the bike about a year ago i have a reworked head i am going to install when i reassemble it .
    i havnt got it apart yet but i may install new piston rings in when i pull the jug off if it needs them . but if the rings are within speck is it a good idea to just reuse them and put a light hone in cylinder ? if i do need rings where is a good source for them .

thanks for your replies

If everything measures within spec, you can reuse the rings. Personally, I would replace them if I am doing a top end. I'd use oem gaskets and rings. Honing the cylinders with a ball hone is a good idea when replacing the rings.

Comment

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
      If everything measures within spec, you can reuse the rings. Personally, I would replace them if I am doing a top end. I'd use oem gaskets and rings. Honing the cylinders with a ball hone is a good idea when replacing the rings.
      Ditto on this..

Comment

I agree I am going to install new rings with oem gaskets but where is a good place to get the rings from suzuki or a place like bike bandit

Comment

Originally posted by chandler View Post
          I agree I am going to install new rings with oem gaskets but where is a good place to get the rings from suzuki or a place like bike bandit
          Boulevard Suzuki

Comment

I use either Partzilla.com or http://www.suzukipart.com (they offer free shipping over $50) which can save you some money.

Comment

Working...
            X