The 550 Runs! And makes sketchy top end noises

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 550 Runs! And makes sketchy top end noises

After a month of work I finally got the wifes 550L running again last night. The top end sound scared me so I wanted to run it by you guys before I go too much further. When I got it all the valves were too tight (<0.001 in), so I swapped shims until I got everything between 0.06 and 0.1mm. Also checked and resealed the cam chain tensioner while I had it apart. When i installed the tensioner, I backed the lock nut off and loosened the screw about 1/4 turn, heard the push rod pop out, held the screw and snugged the lock nut. It just seems like the top end is really loud, like the cam chain is slapping or something. I'm going to verify tensioner function when I get home today, just wanted to let you guys listen to a clip and see if you think there's any abnormalities. It's been a while since my last GS, so I may just not be used to the 'mechanical' sound of these engines.

Here's a quick video of it running, this was the first start after a carb rebuild and the engine is cold so it's not wanting to idle. I'll fix that as soon as I'm sure there's not a bigger problem.

Sounds like cam chain to me. On the top end do you have a sprocket the chain runs through?
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I think that's what it is too, sounded like it was coming from the center of the engine. I'm not totally sure what you're asking, but I did check the sprockets and cam timing after I put the tensioner back in and everything was cool. Tonight I'll start with the tensioner, then pull the valve cover and recheck everything if need be. I *really* hope I don't have to wrestle that carb rack/airbox out again.

Comment

OK, I fiddled with it a little bit tonight and I think chef's suspicions are correct. I had a couple valves that had loosened up on me, up to about 0.13mm, so I shimmed them back to spec. While I had the cover off I triple checked the cam timing and all's well.

The noise is still there and I've got no motion on the tensioner knob. I went ahead and backed the slotted bolt out another 1/4 turn just to be sure the pushrod wasn't hung on it. I noticed that while I was working on the valves that when I rotate the engine, the cam chain gets slack between the sprockets, then jerks back tight over the next 1/2 turn of the crank. I'm thinking my noise is the cam chain going slack and then yanking tight again. Thoughts?

Comment

Do you have the flat bracket/support piece fitted between the camshaft sprockets that the cam chain runs on. I would n't worry unnecessarlily about the slackening and tightening of the camchain. It is probably just the chain under tension and releasing again as the valve springs compress and release, etc. When the motor is running this would be smoothed out to a large degree. Just my opinion.

Did you read the workshop manual about fitting and tensioning the camchain tensioner? There is a procedure.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
            Do you have the flat bracket/support piece fitted between the camshaft sprockets that the cam chain runs on.
            The plastic piece on the underside of the valve cover? Yes, it's there. I didn't see any damage from the chain slapping while I had the cover off, so it may not be a big deal.

Did you read the workshop manual about fitting and tensioning the camchain tensioner? There is a procedure.
            Yep, I used the how-to on Bwringer's site(bwringer.com/gs/camchaintens.html). I think my next step is to pull it off again and make sure I got it together right. I've never been in to a tensioner before.

Comment

Originally posted by detritus View Post
              The plastic piece on the underside of the valve cover? Yes, it's there. I didn't see any damage from the chain slapping while I had the cover off, so it may not be a big deal.

Yep, I used the how-to on Bwringer's site(bwringer.com/gs/camchaintens.html). I think my next step is to pull it off again and make sure I got it together right. I've never been in to a tensioner before.
              Read Page 61 of the Suzuki Factory Manual for the GS550 in the engine section first.

Edit: And a few preceding pages on the cam chain tensioner.
              Last edited by Guest; 08-21-2013, 11:29 PM.

Comment

If tensionor knob is not moving, it's probably not working. Did you turn it all the way counterclock wise with set screw loose and then tighten screw while holding knob, before installing it? terrylee

Comment

If I didn't that's what I intended to do, haha. I heard an audible 'thwack' when i backed the set screw off after I installed it, so it *should* be free. I'll study the factory manual some more and try it again. I'm moving tuesday/wednesday of next week so it'll be a few days but I'll update when I get back into it.

Thanks guys

Comment

Ok, a move and a new job later I'm back to work. I pulled the tensioner again and made sure I put it back together right, reinstalled, backed the set screw off 1/2 turn, heard the pushrod pop out/saw the knob move. Now, I'm trying to check function as explained in the suzuki manual by trying to turn the knob counterclockwise while rotating the crank backwards. I get no motion of the knob even when I turn the crank back forwards.

I didnt see any issues with the pushrod and it moves free when it's off the bike. ugh.

Comment

Working...
                    X