clutch won't disengage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clutch won't disengage

Just like the title says, if I pull in the lever it's still engaged and won't do it's job. I actually rode home from work like this last night. I had to down shift really hard and hope I find neutral , at the stop lights, or I would lock up and skid to a stop. So again I pull in the lever all the way and no disengagement of the clutch. Do I need new clutch plates?

knowing what bike you are referring to may help!

is the cable adjusted correctly?
    what is the history behind the problem, has the bike been stood for a while, has it suddenly just started happening?

we really need more info to be able to try and help you.
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Oh yes, more info would be helpful.

It's a 1980 GS 550 L. It sat for at least 15 years. I got it running, cleaned and lined the tank, cleaned and dipped carbs, changed oil and filter.

I have been riding it for about 300-400 miles and it just happened all of a sudden. I mean I was riding for awhile in 6 gear and when I came up to light it was quite abrupt as I was downshifting. I thought, "dam this is downshifting really hard" A few miles later I could accelerate in gear with the clutch lever totally pulled in.

Comment

do you still feel "pressure" on the lever? the cable may have just snapped.
        or, the release mechanism behind the sprocket cover may have broken or become dislodged somehow. you should pull the cover and have a look
        1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Your cable might also just have suddenly stretched- new ones are cheaper than fighting old ones.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Oh boy now that you mention it, the clutch cable did feel a bit on the light side. as far as pull tension goes. I mean, lighter than before and it did happen all of a sudden. But it does spring right back. I need to pull it apart and take a look see...

Comment

worm gear.

Comment

apon further inspection it seems I have a fraying cable, coming apart down behind the cover not up at the lever....very interesting. New cable ordered. Thanks fellas.

Comment

Working...
                X