Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chain tension

Hi,

drive chain on my Katana was a bit noisy and i went to check the tension.
    After hours of adjusting i went crazy, couldn't adjust it properly.
    I adjust it, test it, spin the wheel, and then again on begging, chain is too tight or too lose

After some time I saw that problem is somewhere else, if I sin wheel slowly on one part of circle chain is loose, on other is tight.
    Look at video, you can see all.

One part is tensioned too much until other is very low.What could be the reason, any suggestions?

I measure the pitch distance and it's in limits, for 20 pitch is 320 mm, on both tensioned and loosen side of chain.
    Sprockets also looks fine.

Do you have some suggestions, where should I look for source of problem?
    Is it chain or something else?

Thanks in advance
    Br
    Goran

Hi,

I would replace the chain and both sprockets as a set. Let them wear together. The symptoms you describe point to worn out components. Don't put a new chain on worn sprockets and don't use new sprockets with a worn chain. It makes the new component wear faster.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

That's how they are when they are shot. As cliff says, replace all three.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Even a new chain and sprockets are going to have a tight and loose spot to some extent, though a chain and sprockets that are worn out it will be excessive and can't be adjusted no matter what you do. Sounds like your stuff is shot. Time to replace everything.
        sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
        1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
          Even a new chain and sprockets are going to have a tight and loose spot to some extent,
          Where do you buy your new chains?
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            Where do you buy your new chains?
            Got my 530 conversion stuff from Z1 (chain was an RK xring) and yes even new stuff will have a slight tight and loose spot, just the nature of the beast. Where as old wore out stuff will be more excessive and can't be adjusted out.
            sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
            1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
            2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Hi,

I was thinking to start with replacemt of chain and sprockets, but i wasn't 100 % sure, because to me they don't look so worn.

I was looking at DID 530VX, that do you use?

Mrbill
              what do mean, when you said that even new set of chain and sprocket will have tight-loose spots?
              About what this depend?
              Can this be solved?

Is your chain loud when you drive?

If im stopped on this loose spot of chain when i put from neutral to gear, i can hear nice clonk from drivetrain and this is driving me nuts. Is this normal?

Thank you for your answers
              BR
              Goran

Comment

Mabe I should be the sarcastic one to chime in and suggest you buy a shaftie.

Comment

Originally posted by kli View Post
                  Hi,

I was thinking to start with replacemt of chain and sprockets, but i wasn't 100 % sure, because to me they don't look so worn.

I was looking at DID 530VX, that do you use?

Mrbill
                  what do mean, when you said that even new set of chain and sprocket will have tight-loose spots?
                  About what this depend?
                  Can this be solved?

Is your chain loud when you drive?

If im stopped on this loose spot of chain when i put from neutral to gear, i can hear nice clonk from drivetrain and this is driving me nuts. Is this normal?

Thank you for your answers
                  BR
                  Goran
                  that depends on how loose the chain is at its "loose spot". too big a clonk means chain is too loose
                  1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Working...
                  X