Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stock GS Cam Chain strength

hey guys,

Question - how strong and reliable is the stock GS camchain pre 1983? I have a GS550M with the single row cam chain. This thing looks like it wont handle much power. I noticed the went to a much stronger chain on the '83 bikes. Should I by an aftermarket unit or is the stock unit pretty good. I should mention that I am currently in the process of adding the 650 cylinder/pistons/head swap so power output will be higher than the stock 550.

Thanks,
    Sci85
    1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
    1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
    2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

I have never heard of a cam chain breaking on a 550. Mine was still well within wear limits when we took the engine apart to fix leaks at 120,000 miles. Even though the power output will be higher, I don't think there will be any more strain on the cam chain with the 650 top end, all of the valves and things are identical to the 550. If anything less strain because you won't be winding it all the way out quite as often.

Or maybe you will...

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Ok thanks tkent. Are you also doing the 550/675 build?
      1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja

Comment

Yeah, slowly. As in I haven't touched it in two months. I lost momentum when I had to wait way too long for parts from the incompetent and dishonest G&S Suzuki. Have not even started the actual 675 part. I'll get around to it in a few months when I can't ride every day.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

That sucks. I too am stalled waiting on parts...as you say, it kills the momentum. So to keep that from happening I'm researching and doing little things like cleaning, checking clearences, etc. Good luck. I can't wait to feel the difference. I suspect it's pretty substantial.
          1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja

Comment

Originally posted by Sci85 View Post
            That sucks. I too am stalled waiting on parts...as you say, it kills the momentum. So to keep that from happening I'm researching and doing little things like cleaning, checking clearances, etc. Good luck. I can't wait to feel the difference. I suspect it's pretty substantial.
            "SUBSTANTIAL"
            You'd better believe it.

Comment

Working...
            X