Clutch Springs for 1983 GS750ES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch Springs for 1983 GS750ES

My clutch is slipping under heavy throttle in third through fifth gear. At least that is what it feels like with the rpms quickly raising and then feels like it is catching again.

The clutch lever has the correct amount of free play, as described in the service manual. All the threads I have seen on here talk about six clutch springs, but what I think are the clutch springs in the manual have only four.

In the diagram here

Is number eleven the clutch spring?
    Thanks

Originally posted by LSCCOLT View Post
    My clutch is slipping under heavy throttle in third through fifth gear. At least that is what it feels like with the rpms quickly raising and then feels like it is catching again.

The clutch lever has the correct amount of free play, as described in the service manual. All the threads I have seen on here talk about six clutch springs, but what I think are the clutch springs in the manual have only four.

In the diagram here

Is number eleven the clutch spring?
    Thanks
    Yes, that is the clutch spring. Measure your fibers and check the steels, a light sanding on the fibers if they are in spec to remove glazing. They changed the number of springs in that generation of 750's.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply Gearhead, what grit sandpaper do you recommend?
      Is there any other information that I need before I attempt this this week?
      This will be the first time messing with a motorcycle clutch, or tearing into the motor.

Comment

If you are ordering the springs, I would get a clutch cover gasket. Also, download a service manual for it if you havent already. You will need it for the fiber plate specs.
        220 grit would be good IMO, just enough to remove the glaze, roughen up the steels as well.
        Get one here:

Comment

Working...
        X