A gunuine Oil query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A gunuine Oil query

I changed the oil and filter when I got my GS650 and then did it again about 300 miles later, within a few miles the oil is black again, also when I check the oil the level is different every time, I checked it after I had been out and it was at the max mark, then another day it was near the min mark (mild panic because I had only done about 30miles) then when I checked it again it was back a near the max mark, it seems to be at a different level every time I check it, would a semi blocked oil strainer cause this or am I worrying for no reason?

Unless you check it under EXACTLY the same circumstances EVERY time, it will appear a bit different every time.

Don't worry about the blackness. You can not drain ALL the old oil out, some will remain to stain the new oil.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Don't let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy.............

Always check the oil with the bike level. If it has been running and is not fully warm the oil will hang out in the top end for what seems a long time thus the apparent low oil reading.

Comment

Plus theirs no way of telling how long it's been since the change prior to your last one. If the PO didn't take proper care of it, probably not, and If your using a good oil like Rotella, it's going to be cleaning up the engines innards for some time.

And Steve's right about how you check the level. In order for me to get a consistent reading I always do it on my garage floor in the same spot and on the center stand. If I even turn it around to face the other direction it changes the level slightly.

I like to know how much it uses on the average, that way when I'm on a road trip I have a pretty good idea when I should pay attention to the surface I check it on. Otherwise, if I see oil in the widow, I'm good to go.

Comment

I always check my oil level in same spot on garage floor and I've noticed variations of about 3mm in sight glass. The 650's secondary drive unit shares this oil and I suspect that at times for some odd reason more oil lingers there and gives the lower reading. In 3500 miles between oil/filter change, I added maybe a pint to keep it at full mark.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Black oil.

The black stuff is carbon and is not the reason you change your oil, You change it because the additive package breaks down. Don't worry about it.

Comment

Originally posted by UK-GT View Post
              I changed the oil and filter when I got my GS650 and then did it again about 300 miles later, within a few miles the oil is black again, also when I check the oil the level is different every time, I checked it after I
              Did you drain both drain plugs when you changed the oil? The secondary drain plug lets out about a half pint or more after the first plug is drained.
              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
              X