Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS(GSX)750E 81 cracked breather cover

Hello,

I noticed this yesterday. Does anybody understand how it happened? Can the cam chain tensioner stop working and the cam chain get so loose that it bangs against the cover from the inside? Is it external violence somehow? Any other obvious explanation that I have missed?

I just want to make sure I dont replace the cover with an intact one and it then cracks again on account of me fixing the symptoms and not the problem itself.

Any input would be much appreciated.

Cheers // Krogare

Last edited by Guest; 09-04-2013, 07:22 AM. Reason: Added link to photo

Cam chain does not have access to the under side of the breather cover unless the valve cover gets smashed also
    1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
    80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
    1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
    83 gs750ed- first new purchase
    85 EX500- vintage track weapon
    1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
    “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
    If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Ok, that's good. Still don't understand how it happened, it wasn't like that just a few days ago. But nevermind, I'll source a used good cover and replace it.
      Last edited by Guest; 09-04-2013, 04:27 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

the only thing that would crack that cover is human intervention. smacked it while refitting, over tightened the bolts or something like that. they dont just crack all by themselves without a cause!
        1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

on the GS breather covers the gasket on the corners push out when they get soft from oil.
          then when a person tightens it the corner's has less area(uneven) than the rest of the cover and the ear(s) breaks.
          happens all the time...or at least in the "old" days.

Comment

Thanks for the input hjfisk, Agemax and blowerbike!

Ok, so: The PO overtightened the breather cover about a year ago to stop oil from leaking out. He then induced a minimal crack in the cover at one of the ears and then finally from vibrations etc it grew larger and larger and eventually grew big enough to be visible and let a lot of oil out.
            New cover + gasket = problem solved

Comment

Working...
            X