Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1982 GS650G Oil, Filter, VC Gasket, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS650G Oil, Filter, VC Gasket, etc.

Hello all. I recently rebuilt my carbs and the bike runs, but I need to do some other maintenance before I feel confident driving it. I wasn't sure if I should put this thread in this forum or the maintenance forum, feel free to move it.

1) Oil: I've seen Rotella 5W-40 Synthetic and Rotella Diesel 15W-40 recommended. I don't care which one, as long as they are both okay to use. Thoughts? Also, how many quarts are needed?
    2) Oil Filter: I've seen the OEM Suzuki filter recommended. What is the part number? Also, does it come with the clover o-ring for the filter cover? I've also seen the Wix PS4931 recommended which does come with the o-ring (I believe). Thoughts?
    3) Valve Cover Gasket: Mine is leaking. The bike is an 1982 GS650G which evidently uses a 16 or 17 hole gasket. Do I just count the bolts to figure it out? The tach cable appears to go in the VC, but doesn't appear to be leaking. I know the breather needs to be removed in some instances as well. What are the part numbers for the breather gasket, VC gasket, half moons, and any required tach gear o-rings/gaskets for the GS650G?

I know that I am asking a lot of questions, but the info for the GS650G seems to be rather sporadic compared to the GS850 which is used in most of the tutorials on the site. Thanks a bunch!

Clarksville is relatively close in proximity to Boulevard Suzuki in Deland Florida. Their website will provide decent guidance in part ordering, and they occaisionally do deep discounting. Be forewarned, that at time they are heavily backordered. I have been waiting on some 650G parts for almost a month.

As for your valve cover...some of the later 82s have the extra bolt on the front, so count them up. I believe all of the 83s have the 17 bolt pattern.

Can't help you with he oil filter as I have never ordered the Suzuki one, but IIRC, he o-ring is sold separately.

Edit- Basscliff does have a copy of the 650 service manual on his site, and you can confirm the oil volume there. Also, diesel is probably the most used, and thought to be better due to it's zinc content, etc.
    Last edited by BigD_83; 09-08-2013, 12:31 AM.
    '83 GS650G
    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Use 15-40 Rotella T ; most aftermarket oil filters include the gasket.
      Look at this diagram in link. At tach drive area, there is an additional cam cover bolt (on other side of cam tunnel) - the 81 and early 82's don't have this bolt- does yours? Warning! on lots of parts fiches the "up to frame numbers" are reversed. If you have this additional bolt hole you want cam cover gasket
      11173-34210 (or -34212)

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

The Wix, K&N and Napa filters are all fine quality and all come with the o-ring. I would (and did) choose them over an OEM filter.

Comment

The tach drive does go into the valve cover. The part numbers and how to rebuild it are contained in this tutorial.

Comment

Originally posted by white94cam View Post
            I know that I am asking a lot of questions, but the info for the GS650G seems to be rather sporadic compared to the GS850 which is used in most of the tutorials on the site. Thanks a bunch!
            The 850 is used in many of the tutorials because BassCliff is the author of many of them, and that's his bike.

Yes, details will differ (like oil quantity), but the basic principle is the same from bike to bike.

Your bike is the exception in one area, though. When you drain the engine oil, be sure to open BOTH drain plugs.
            Yep, there is the main plug in the middle of the oil pan and a second one in the back left corner, under the output shaft. The 650 is the only shaftie that uses engine oil to lubricate the secondary gear set. It is fed from the engine's oil pump, so there is nothing extra to fill up, but you do have to drain that cavity separately.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
            X