Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anybody done a 520 conversion on a GS750?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anybody done a 520 conversion on a GS750?

I've searched a couple different times, and couldn't find any "successful" conversions on the stock rear wheel. I found a couple conversions for different wheels, but not the stock wheels. Oh yeah - I mean the early GS750's (1977-1982). Looking on JT Sprocket's site, here are the stock sprocket dimensions:

But they sell a 520 conversion for 92 GSXR's that looks viable:

So.....anybody done it? Or are my searching skills sub-par?

Are you meaning "520" or the more-typical "530"?

The 520 chain is a bit narrower, might not do what you want.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Definitely 520. I've seen plenty of info on the 530 conversion, along with the successful swaps. But 520 seems like a viable alternative, and was curious if I've missed it somewhere.

Comment

Some of the smaller GS's came with 520's on them , their rear sprocket may fit , You may need to use the carrier from one , or try a carrier from a later model GSXR with the six bolt sprocket pattern. As far as the front you have alot of choices as the spline size is the same as a lot of the newer bikes.
        1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
        80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
        1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
        83 gs750ed- first new purchase
        85 EX500- vintage track weapon
        1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
        “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
        If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Any Bandit 1200 sprocket 98-02 will fit a GS hub. By this logic you can buy any aftermarket sprocket in any pitch for these year Bandits. I have a 520 pitch supersprox on my gs hub. Finding a 520 front becomes the issue but I would think they are out there, the Bandit front aftermarket might be an option.

Comment

520 conversion rear on my GS 1100 hub

Comment

520 is narrower and will wear out faster than 530. Unless going to a wider rear tire, where clearance is a factor, why would anyone want 520 over 530?
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                520 is narrower and will wear out faster than 530. Unless going to a wider rear tire, where clearance is a factor, why would anyone want 520 over 530?

I was thinking the same thing, there really no benefit on a stock GS.

Comment

Thanks gents!

I know a lot of smaller displacement bikes have them now, and figured the weight savings add up on everything.

Comment

Front should not be much of an issue.

here is a reply I recived from a sprocket manufacturer when I was exploring the 520 route.

hello Daryl

Rob Wilton has that sprocket but in 530 if you have a lathe or a machine shop you can purchase one from him chuck it up in a lathe and take .115 off the outside to just below the root of the tooth so the chain would wrap and you would have a 520. The pitch is the same and since the chain doesnt contact there it would not be an issue with wear from the case hardening being removed. If you want us to build one it could be a month to 6 weeks easily , we have to send them to case hardening so i hate to give an exact time frame.hope this helps.

Randy

So from this I would assume any sprocket could be thined.

I did not go the 520, I used the 530 instead.

Daryl
                    Last edited by Fjbj40; 09-09-2013, 09:05 AM.
                    1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head :cool:
                    1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017:D

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

Try AFAM, or Drive Systems.
                      El G

Comment

Working...
                      X