Valve clearances after lapping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve clearances after lapping

So i have my engine rebuilt up to the point where i am checking valve clearances. I was careful and labeled everything as to which cylinder and side it came from.

I am getting some really weird numbers, was wondering if this was normal... Dims are in inches(mm). Is this typical findings after a valve lap job?

Cyl. 1. 2. 3. 4
    Ex. .000(0.000) .003.(.0762) .000 (0.000) .0025 (.0635)
    Shim. .1084(2.7534) .1045(2.6543). .1037(2.634) .1033(2.634)
    Int. .000(0.0000) .009(.2286) .005(0.127) .003(.0762)
    Shim. .1066(2.7076) .0967(2.4562) .1035(2.6289) .1048(2.6619)
    Last edited by mvalenti; 09-19-2013, 08:17 AM. Reason: Im a dummy
    -Mark
    Boston, MA
    Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
    sigpic
    1980 GS850G with 79 carbs.....

To lazy to convert it, what is that in millemeters?
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Those numbers seem pretty normal. Make sure where there's a lot of clearance that there's not some crud keeping the valve open.

Comment

Should be 2-3 thousandths if I remember correctly.

Just adjust the valves. Nothing about those numbers looks weird to me...

Comment

So im getting anywhere from 0.000-0.009(.229mm) after lapping. Im worried about the (something) holding the valve(s) open. I thought i was pretty careful when i installed the valves and cleaned them and seats. I was thinking of rotating the engine to open each valve and blow compressed air in the ports then recheck. Really dont want to pull the head off.... If i have to do i need a new set of gaskets???
          -Mark
          Boston, MA
          Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mvalenti View Post
            So im getting anywhere from 0.000-0.009(.229mm) after lapping. Im worried about the (something) holding the valve(s) open. I thought i was pretty careful when i installed the valves and cleaned them and seats. I was thinking of rotating the engine to open each valve and blow compressed air in the ports then recheck. Really dont want to pull the head off.... If i have to do i need a new set of gaskets???
            Mark, I wouldn't worry too much, if you were reasonably careful to keep it clean during assembly. Probably a good idea to turn the engine several times to make sure the shims are fully seated, then check clearances again. Blowing air through the valves is probably a good idea. I assume the clearance did tighten up after the cleanup. Ray
            "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
            GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
            1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
            1979 GS1000SN The new hope
            1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

I just recently finished rebuilding an '83 GR 650 Tempter engine. A twin cylinder bike. Prior to the rebuild, I had all the valves adjusted perfect. After the rebuild, which included new valve seals and a light valve lapping, all the valves had to be adjusted again. I'm sure the new seals and lapping were the cause. I hand turned the crank several times prior to start up and rechecked the clearances too before start up after putting in the correct shims. It turned over first try and is running just fine. You should be good after adjusting the valves.
              sigpic

1974 GT750 ...done, running and sold
              1974 GT550 .... under construction (done and sold)
              1978 GS550........all stock, running (going to do 550/650 build with it)
              1978 GS1000...another project (Given to son #2)
              1982 GS750EZ ...daily driver(given to son#1)
              1982 GS1100G...completed and traded to son #2 for the 750 back
              1982 GS750EZ...daily driver (got it back in trade with son #2)
              1983 GR650 Tempter.... engine rebuild completed (and sold)

Comment

Originally posted by Super View Post
                ... After the rebuild, which included new valve seals and a light valve lapping, all the valves had to be adjusted again. I'm sure the new seals and lapping were the cause. ...
                Valve seals have nothing to do with clearance.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Ghostgs1 View Post
                  Mark, I wouldn't worry too much, if you were reasonably careful to keep it clean during assembly. Probably a good idea to turn the engine several times to make sure the shims are fully seated, then check clearances again. Blowing air through the valves is probably a good idea. I assume the clearance did tighten up after the cleanup. Ray
                  Thanks, im not as worried about the tight ones as i guessed they would have gone that direction. The loose ones scared me. I will oil everything up and turn the motor a bunch. Then give you shout for new shims.
                  -Mark
                  Boston, MA
                  Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mvalenti View Post
                    Thanks, im not as worried about the tight ones as i guessed they would have gone that direction. The loose ones scared me. I will oil everything up and turn the motor a bunch. Then give you shout for new shims.
                    Mark, I didn't notice the .009" at first. Doesn't seem possible if they all stayed in the same locations. I have had some valves act sticky until oil worked it's way in. Hopefully that will be the case here. Ray
                    "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
                    GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
                    1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
                    1979 GS1000SN The new hope
                    1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Hey Steve...thanks for clearing that up. It was my first engine rebuild and I was totally guessing that the new seals and the valve lapping together may have contributed to the valve clearance change. That's good to know for any future engine rebuilds.

Thanks for adding to my ever expanding knowledge base on these great old bikes. It's people like you that make this site as great as it is.

Thanks again
                      sigpic

1974 GT750 ...done, running and sold
                      1974 GT550 .... under construction (done and sold)
                      1978 GS550........all stock, running (going to do 550/650 build with it)
                      1978 GS1000...another project (Given to son #2)
                      1982 GS750EZ ...daily driver(given to son#1)
                      1982 GS1100G...completed and traded to son #2 for the 750 back
                      1982 GS750EZ...daily driver (got it back in trade with son #2)
                      1983 GR650 Tempter.... engine rebuild completed (and sold)

Comment

Originally posted by Super View Post
                        Hey Steve...thanks for clearing that up. It was my first engine rebuild and I was totally guessing that the new seals and the valve lapping together may have contributed to the valve clearance change. That's good to know for any future engine rebuilds.
                        The lapping process might change the clearance a little, and if it does, it will decrease, as the valve sits a bit lower in the seat.

With the extra clearance that was noted, I would guess that there was some grit stuck on a valve face, holding it open a bit.

The seals only close up the gap around the sides of the valve stem and have nothing at all to do with what happens at the end of the stem.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

oil can in hand, filed with, errr... oil... rotella... will give ports a good blast with compressed air then going to squirt this weekend after the *******... wait... thats not what I meant.. squirt oil....
                          -Mark
                          Boston, MA
                          Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
                          sigpic

Comment

Still getting obscene clearances. Thinking of taking the head off and cleaning everything up, checking for crud keeping the valve open or spring hanging up. Will I need to replace the new head gasket? Its of the layered metal type.
                            -Mark
                            Boston, MA
                            Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X