New design for rod bearings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New design for rod bearings?

Ok so I'm rebuilding my 82 GS650GL and I'm about to install the rods onto the crank and noticed that the rod bearings are the new style and they are the correct part number however they do not have a hole drilled into the top half of the bearing for an oil passage is this normal for the new style? Because that blocks off the oil passage in the rod that looks like it squirts oil on the back side of the piston.

If i remember right, the new bearings without the oil hole came in with rods also without. They did however have a couple of reliefs on the side faces of the big ends which allowed oil to fling up onto the bores.

My memory may well be totally wrong but I'm sure others here can help.

Comment

Originally posted by GregT View Post
      If i remember right, the new bearings without the oil hole came in with rods also without. They did however have a couple of reliefs on the side faces of the big ends which allowed oil to fling up onto the bores.

My memory may well be totally wrong but I'm sure others here can help.

Ok because I'm just reusing my old rods they are in spec just the bearings were shot.

Comment

I have another question did the 82 gs650s have thrust bearings between the crank and the top half of the case I see their is a sport machined in the top of the case next to one set of the main bearings and I can't remember if It had some or not but I could have sworn they did and that I stuck them in a bag and marked them.

Comment

Page 25 of the factory Service Manual supplement for 82's says that only the bearing material was changed, from engine # 122709 on, no sign or mention of a hole or groove, as is the case on the crank bearings, not the rod bearings, and your part # should be 12164-17E01-0A0 (or B, C, or D, depending any oversize requirements). The first replacement bearing shells were 12164-34210-010, (or 020, 030, 040, the above alpha-numeric is supposed to be the very latest) interesting question, because the fiche for these bearings does actually show a hole in the bearings, kind of misleading. Good luck, let us know how it turns out, are you using plastigage?
          sigpicSome of the totally committed probably should be.
          '58 + '63 Vespa 150's' (London, GB/RI, US)
          '67 X6 T20 ('67 Long Beach, Ca.- misty-eyed)
          '71 Kaw. A1-ugh ('71 SF, CA- worked @ Kaw dlr)
          '66 Yam. YL1('72 SF-commuter beater)
          '73 Kaw. S2A-2Xugh ('73 SF-still parts slave)
          '78 GS 750C ('77 SF-old faithful-killed by son)
          '81 KZ 750E ('81 SF-back to Kaw. dlr)
          '81 GS 650G ('08 back to NE&ME- (project)
          '82 GS '82 (2) GS650GZ, L, Middlebury, G current

Comment

Did you install the bearings without oil holes in your bike? And if so did your bike run fine with the new bearings?

I just ran into the same problem with my 1982 GS650GL.

Comment

Working...
            X