Starter Clutch Problem (with pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by markb View Post
    i am not sure it can be any bolt. it has to be the hardeded stuff like the difference between a regular socket, and an impact gun socket.

they are not that expensive, check out vendors here or ebay.
    K - thanks.

I think part of the problem I'm having is the various names (flywheel, rotor, stater, starter clutch, magneto, alternator etc.) for the part to be pulled.

What would you search for when trying to find the tool?

Last edited by Guest; 10-01-2013, 09:19 PM.

Comment

its M16x1.5 RH.

i am pretty sure thats what you need.

Comment

Originally posted by OriginalOwner View Post
        Say no to crack.

Hey blowerbike> I just read a thread from 2010 about making/buying tool to pull the flywheel where you said, "i'm still not sure why a person would make a slide hammer when a bolt and a torch would do the job..."

What did you mean? How's that work?

Cause I'd like to not wait on a a puller if I can make one quicker.

you will be pushing the rotor off.
        i'm not sure on the bolt you need but i believe someone posted a link above me...
        go to a hardware store and buy a bolt and add a spacer between the bolt and crank and push your rotor off.
        your rotor has threads on the inside...you'll see them after you remove the center bolt.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
          you will be pushing the rotor off.
          i'm not sure on the bolt you need but i believe someone posted a link above me...
          go to a hardware store and buy a bolt and add a spacer between the bolt and crank and push your rotor off.
          your rotor has threads on the inside...you'll see them after you remove the center bolt.
          Yep, I see them. They're a touch bigger than the bolt that holds the "rotor."

So, if I knew the correct size, I could screw the bolt in and it'll stop on the crankshaft, thereby pushing off the "rotor."

The "spacer" you speak of is to protect the crankshaft from the bolt and could be something as simple as the right sized washer, right?

A washer that fits perfectly in so the bolt doesn't mash-up the face of the crank. Correct?

Comment

Yeah markb, I think you're correct. Although when I enter my bike's specifics on that particular ebay site, it says,

This does not fit your: 1981 Suzuki GS750E

HOWEVER, other sites that carry it, site the exact same Motion Pro stock number, 08-0027 -- so, they're probably just having problems with that site.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by OriginalOwner View Post
              Yep, I see them. They're a touch bigger than the bolt that holds the "rotor."

So, if I knew the correct size, I could screw the bolt in and it'll stop on the crankshaft, thereby pushing off the "rotor."

The "spacer" you speak of is to protect the crankshaft from the bolt and could be something as simple as the right sized washer, right?

A washer that fits perfectly in so the bolt doesn't mash-up the face of the crank. Correct?

the spacer would be to add length..
              a regular bolt will not have threads all the way up so you need to compensate..plus it would protect the crank/threads ect..
              a washer won't do it..needs some length.
              i have used allen bolts before..just depends on your id/od sizes you have.
              maybe 8mm or 5/16 allen bolt..can't say for sure.

Comment

yeah i ran it through the "will it fit your bike" at the top and it came back, but the M16x1.5 is wat the specs are on the actual one. its half the price of the other ones.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                  the spacer would be to add length..
                  a regular bolt will not have threads all the way up so you need to compensate..plus it would protect the crank/threads ect..
                  a washer won't do it..needs some length.
                  i have used allen bolts before..just depends on your id/od sizes you have.
                  maybe 8mm or 5/16 allen bolt..can't say for sure.

yeah i ran it through the "will it fit your bike" at the top and it came back, but the M16x1.5 is wat the specs are on the actual one. its half the price of the other ones.
                  Thanks fellas for the help. I understand SO much better what I need and what I need to DO than when I started this thread earlier.

I really appreciate it.

Comment

starter clutch

The starter clutch looks to be smashed , the body where the three rollers and springs are fitted. Buy a replacement, the hardest part of the job is getting the bolt out of the end of the crank and removing the rotor and starter clutch . You need an impact gun of some kind.
                    My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot :eagerness: and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

no problem, glad I could help.

Comment

Well, I know what I need -- a M16 x 1.5 hardened bolt about 3 inches (80mm) long, I just don't know where to get it...locally.

Tried Home Depot, Grainger and Sears Hardware to no avail. They all have beautiful M16 x 2.0 bolts -- but no 1.5's.

I'll keep trying but I'm probably gonna have to order it online and wait.

Comment

No Ace Hardware or a bolt shop?

You're faking me out with the "New York". I always think of that as NYC, since that's what they call it there!

I was thinking you're in NYC and could go to a bolt supplier

Is that the size of the swingarm pivot bolt? people have used that on some bikes
                          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                          2007 DRz 400S
                          1999 ATK 490ES
                          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                            No Ace Hardware or a bolt shop?

You're faking me out with the "New York". I always think of that as NYC, since that's what they call it there!

I was thinking you're in NYC and could go to a bolt supplier

Is that the size of the swingarm pivot bolt? people have used that on some bikes
                            I'm about 8 miles from mid-town Manhattan.

I didn't even bother with Ace because their website says they don't carry it. Then again, Home Depot's website said they have it but they didn't. Go figure.

Tried a few "bolt supplier" places too, no luck. So, I got frustrated and ordered it online for $10 bucks delivered.

It'll be here Saturday.

Now I gotta find the clutch -- most of the sites are saying it's not available new.

Push forward! Thanks guys!

Comment

My Motion Pro 08-0027 flywheel puller arrived today -- it doesn't fit. Too big.

Multiple sources sited this as the correct puller so I never measured the opening. Stuck my caliper in the hole just now and against the top of the threads it measure 12mm.

Any suggestions? I'm lost and frustrated.

Comment

Nevermind.

I used a ball bearing and the front axle bolt off of a 1975 Yamaha RD350B. It came off pretty easy.

The clutch is indeed cracked.

Which brings my next headache -- where can I get this part?

So far, I've checked all the usual OEM sites and the part, as a set, is discontinued. Even stranger, the part itself, the exact piece that I need, is not even annotated on the diagram?

This is a tough one. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                                X