Engine Knock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Knock

First post here, and I have a problem. I've searched about, and am not sure what my issue is.

I have a 85 GS550EF that is making a knocking sound. I've only owned the bike for a few months, and am not really sure if it is a new sound or not. I've been paying more attention to it since my R/R went, and I boiled the battery dry. Anyway, I've pulled, stripped and re-wrapped the entire harness, installed the new R/R, and am now noticing this knocking (only at idle). I'm trying to include a video here (1st timer), and you can hear the knock in the second half. Any suggestions greatly welcomed!

Last edited by Guest; 05-18-2014, 05:43 PM.

Originally posted by stuiec View Post
    First post here, and I have a problem. I've searched about, and am not sure what my issue is.

I have a 85 GS550EF that is making a knocking sound. I've only owned the bike for a few months, and am not really sure if it is a new sound or not. I've been paying more attention to it since my R/R went, and I boiled the battery dry. Anyway, I've pulled, stripped and re-wrapped the entire harness, installed the new R/R, and am now noticing this knocking (only at idle). I'm trying to include a video here (1st timer), and you can hear the knock in the second half. Any suggestions greatly welcomed!

Whoa whoa whoa...least buy us dinner first! How about a little introduction?
    No signature

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
      Whoa whoa whoa...least buy us dinner first! How about a little introduction?
      Ooops!

Evening! It all started when I was just a wee lad....

Comment

I'm in Canada......just started riding again after about 24 years.....on practically the same bike I started on. This is it:

Comment

Name is Stu, (expertly disguised username be damned )

Comment

Clutch, starter clutch or cam chain tensioner are the usual suspects for funny noises. Not sure on your model though.

Nice looking bike.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I enjoy sea-food, cinema, long walks in the evening, and motorcycles that do not knock.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                Clutch, starter clutch or cam chain tensioner are the usual suspects for funny noises. Not sure on your model though.

Nice looking bike.
                Thanks. I am a complete noob to bike mechanics, but am mechanically inclined, (and employed). Still learning. There is no change in the knocking when I work the clutch, is this sufficient to eliminate that do you think?

Comment

I enjoy sea-food, cinema, long walks in the evening, and motorcycles that do not knock.
                  Lol...funny guy..must be Canadian. Where in Canada are you? I went 27 years between GS 750s. Soon discovered I wanted a bigger bike, hence the 1100. Careful, these bikes have a tendency to multiply.
                  No signature

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                    Lol...funny guy..must be Canadian. Where in Canada are you? I went 27 years between GS 750s. Soon discovered I wanted a bigger bike, hence the 1100. Careful, these bikes have a tendency to multiply.

I'm in Edmonton, found the bike down in Calgary. It was sold the second I heard it run, it was like I had never sold my 83. Heh heh, wonder if it was knocing then too

Comment

There is no change in the knocking when I work the clutch, is this sufficient to eliminate that do you think?
                      Not always. It's very easy to take a look inside the clutch. Don't even have to drain the oil. Check the big clutch hub nut, they come loose sometimes. Then pull the clutch off and look at the springs in the back of the basket. They tend to get loose from sitting compressed 30 years.

You do have a service manual?

The starter clutch is a little more involved.

Comment

Not always. It's very easy to take a look inside the clutch. Don't even have to drain the oil. Check the big clutch hub nut, they come loose sometimes. Then pull the clutch off and look at the springs in the back of the basket. They tend to get loose from sitting compressed 30 years.

You do have a service manual?

The starter clutch is a little more involved.
                        I do have a manual, and I've been through what looked to be an excellent thread here on doing just that, (I think you may have commented on it). I'll get in there and have a look. As far as not draining the oil, is it just leaning the bike over and supporting it somehow?

Comment

Sidestand works fine. The oil isn't that deep in there, it will all go to the downhill side. The clutch cover will drop a few drips but it won't spill. Unless it's WAY too full.

Comment

Sidestand works fine. The oil isn't that deep in there, it will all go to the downhill side. The clutch cover will drop a few drips but it won't spill. Unless it's WAY too full.
                            Thanks for your help, just read the procedure in the manual, looks as though I'll need to pick up a few gaskets before I start. I'll post back with results.

Comment

Thanks for your help, just read the procedure in the manual, looks as though I'll need to pick up a few gaskets before I start. I'll post back with results.
                              Sometimes the gasket all comes off in one piece. Sometimes not. It depends on who worked on it last. (if ever)

Comment

Working...
                              X