No announcement yet.

Engine Knock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, been awhile, but I finally got to this issue. I took the clutch apart and inspected everything, all was within spec. I serviced the cam chain tensioner, seems good too. So now I'm headed for the starter clutch. When I had it running, doing the block of wood-stethoscope method, the sound was loudest on the left side, near and on the generator cover. Here is what I am seeing so far......is this gear supposed to have this much play? (click for video)

Comment

....bump....

Comment

It's not supposed to wobble like that.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Looks like someone might have left out some parts.

Comment

I believe that you found the source of that odd knocking sound.

Shop online for OEM Starter Clutch parts that fit your 1985 Suzuki GS550EF, search all our OEM Parts or call at 386-740-2452

Shop online for OEM Generator parts that fit your 1985 Suzuki GS550EF, search all our OEM Parts or call at 386-740-2452

Comment

Thanks guys, I'll pull the flywheel and have a look. Which leads me to my next question, and again, I have been searching the forum, just can't narrow it down. In the shop manual for this bike, I'm told to use the -suzuki parts # here- special tool, in this case, a slide hammer inserted into the other suzuki tool that threads onto the male (I measured 30mm), thread on the outside of the hub of the flywheel.

Nobody here seems to be posting about using this method, but I cannot whittle it down to a decisive option to go another way, as I haven't found anyone doing the same thing to the same model bike. Peering down the bore through the flywheel, it appears to me that there is no change in thread diameter or pitch, all the way down to where things taper in to a point in the end of the crank-shaft.

Comment

MotionPro makes many of those tools but some of these models only need a bolt that goes in the center to pop the rotor off. Not sure about your model.

Comment

Originally posted by GSX1000E View Post
                  MotionPro makes many of those tools but some of these models only need a bolt that goes in the center to pop the rotor off. Not sure about your model.
                  That's what I've found. Correct me if I'm wrong, but all I need when ordering one, is the diameter of the male thread, and the diameter of the inside thread + length? I'm just a little wishy washy about it being that I've read that alot of guys end up with the wrong size.

Comment

If I can find a good post or diagram of what my model looks like through that bore, I'd be set.

Comment

Is there a factory service manual for your bike on BassCliff's site?
                      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                      2007 DRz 400S
                      1999 ATK 490ES
                      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

your rotor should push off with a bolt as i assume you have a bolt that has to be removed to let you see the threads in the rotor itself.
                        this as apposed to a nut having to be removed as on large GS models.
                        FYI
                        the smaller GS's are not prone to starter clutch failures and there should be some side movement in the large gear as it only turns when you start your engine.

Comment

Originally posted by stuiec View Post
                          That's what I've found. Correct me if I'm wrong, but all I need when ordering one, is the diameter of the male thread, and the diameter of the inside thread + length? I'm just a little wishy washy about it being that I've read that alot of guys end up with the wrong size.
                          On some bikes like the 81 gs750e the swing arm bolt will work

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                            Is there a factory service manual for your bike on BassCliff's site?
                            There is, and I'm using it, thanks.

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                            your rotor should push off with a bolt as i assume you have a bolt that has to be removed to let you see the threads in the rotor itself.
                            this as apposed to a nut having to be removed as on large GS models.
                            FYI
                            the smaller GS's are not prone to starter clutch failures and there should be some side movement in the large gear as it only turns when you start your engine.
                            It is a bolt, and I have removed it already. From what I've read of other models, the threaded portion of the crankshaft is a smaller diameter than the threaded portion of the rotor. It does not look like it is in my case.

Is there anywhere I might find a spec on how much side to side movement the large gear ought to have? It does not seem worn out, it slides cleanly on the shaft without wobble.

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                            On some bikes like the 81 gs750e the swing arm bolt will work
                            I'll check this out, thanks.

Comment

is there threads inside your rotor from where your removed your crank bolt?
                              take your crank bolt and drag it through the hole(off set) and see if it catches threads...
                              click click click you know what i mean?

Comment

ok, I finally got my flywheel off, and here is what I found...

Comment

Working...
                                X